Thursday March 6, 2014
See a guide to the top events going on this weekend in the Washington, DC area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia.
More Upcoming Washington, DC Events
March Festivals and Events in Washington DC
- Distribution of White House Easter Egg Roll Tickets - March 7-10, 2014. Free tickets will be distributed via an online lottery. Don't miss your chance to attend the annual event on Easter Monday on the White House grounds.
- Dance Bethesda - March 7-8, 2014. Dance the night away at downtown Bethesda studios! Join Bethesda's dance studios for FREE lessons, parties and performances.
- DC Craft Beer Festival - March 8, 2014. Washington Convention Center. Washington, DC. The American craft beer tasting will feature seminars and food and the spring releases from approximately 75 breweries including 150 craft beers.
- Maryland Polar Bear Plunge - March 8, 2014. Annapolis, Maryland. Rescheduled from an earlier date. During the charity event for Special Olympics Maryland, thousands of participants of all ages are daring enough to take a dip in the wintry waters of the Chesapeake Bay.
- Francophonie Cultural Festival - Through April 15, 2014. Learn about French culture through a variety of concerts, theatrical performances, films, culinary tastings, literary salons, children's workshops, and more.
- Women's History Month - Throughout March. Washington, DC is the home to the many important sites that are dedicated to preserving and honoring the contributions of women. This month is a great time to visit these museums and historical sites.
- Intersections Arts Festival - Through March 8, 2014. Atlas Performing Arts Center. The arts festival at the Atlas Performing Arts Center in Washington DC, features visual art, film screenings, literary readings and dance, musical and dramatic productions by more than 30 artists and cultural institutions.
- Washington Jewish Film Festival -
Through March 9, 2014. The annual event shows films with Jewish themes and encourages a dialogue about a variety of issues.
- Frederick Restaurant Week - Through March 9, 2014. The 7-day promotion features fixed-price lunch and dinner options in the city of Frederick, Maryland and the surrounding area.
- Arlington Home Show & Garden Expo - March 8, 2014, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. The Thomas Jefferson Community Center, 3501 S. 2nd Street, Arlington VA. The event features more than 85 home builders, contractors and specialist vendors, architects, inspectors, landscape designers, realtors, master gardeners, lenders, nonprofit organizations and Arlington County housing, zoning and inspection representatives.
2014 National Cherry Blossom Festival
Wednesday March 5, 2014
2014 White House Easter Egg Roll tickets will be distributed free of charge via an online lottery system, allowing guests from across the United States to participate. The White House Easter Egg Roll
is a Washington, DC tradition where families gather together on the White House lawn to hunt for and race Easter Eggs while enjoying a morning of storytelling and a visit with the Easter Bunny. The lottery will open for entries on Friday, March 7, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. EST and close on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. EST. Read more...
White House Easter Egg Roll Photos
Easter Egg Hunts in Maryland and Virginia
Spring Break in Washington DC
Wednesday March 5, 2014
Here's a guide to some of the newest exhibits at Washington DC museums.
Read More About
Best 5 Washington DC Museums
- Smithsonian's National Museum of American History - Miss Piggy: "American Stories" Exhibition. For a limited time, visitors have the opportunity to see the beloved Miss Piggy, recently donated to the museum and now a temporary addition to "American Stories." This exhibition highlights the ways in which objects and stories can reinforce and challenge our understanding of history and help define our personal and national identities. (March 14 - June 17, 2014)
- Smithsonian American Art Museum - "Modern American Realism: The Sara Roby Foundation Collection" presents works by Will Barnet, Isabel Bishop, Paul Cadmus, Arthur Dove, Nancy Grossman, Edward Hopper, Wolf Kahn, Yasuo Kuniyoshi, Jacob Lawrence, Reginald Marsh, Ben Shahn and Honoré Sharrer, among others. The exhibition includes 71 paintings and sculpture from the 1910s to the 1980s that encompass the range of what can broadly be called modern realism, from socio-political to psychological, from satirical to surrealist. (Feb. 28 through Aug. 17, 2014)
- Freer and Sackler Galleries - "Chigusa and the Art of Tea" tells the story of a 700-year-old ordinary tea jar that rose to become one of the most famous and revered objects in the Japanese "art of tea"--so much so that it was granted a name, luxurious accessories, and a devoted following. Making it's US debut, Chigusa allows visitors into the secret world of 16th century "tea men" who raised drinking tea from a refreshing activity to a level of obsessive connoisseurship, and created one of the most iconic aspects of Japanese culture. (Feb. 22-July 27, 2014)
- National Geographic Museum - Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - The free exhibition celebrates the premiere of the thrilling, new 13-part television series of the same name from executive producer/writer/director Ann Druyan and executive producer Seth MacFarlane. The exhibition will focus on how generations of searchers have used the ethos of science and laws of nature to begin to understand where we are in space and time. (March 4-July 6, 2014)
Smithsonian Museums - A Guide to All of the Smithsonian Museums
Tuesday March 4, 2014
Washington, DC's cherry blossoms will likely hit their peak blooming period between April 8-12, 2014. The date when the Yoshino cherry blossoms reach their peak bloom varies from year to year, depending on the weather. The cold temperatures that we've been experiencing this year will delay the blooming period so that it will fall in the latter part of the National Cherry Blossom Festival.
The blossoms are considered to be at their peak when 70 percent of them are open. The blooming period can last up to 14 days.
Photo © Bob Nichols/USDA
Frequently Asked Questions About Washington, DC's Cherry Trees
Cherry Blossom Photos
The Tidal Basin