1. Local
Rachel Cooper

Inauguration Swearing-In Ceremony 2009

By December 19, 2008

The oath of office will be administered to the President-elect and the Vice President-elect on the steps of the United States Capitol in Washington, DC on January 20, 2009 beginning at 11:30 a.m. EST. The ceremony should last just more than one hour. The Presidential Inauguration Committee has announced the official program for the inaugural swearing-in ceremony as follows:

Musical Selections
The United States Marine Band
The San Francisco Boys Chorus and the San Francisco Girls Chorus

Call to Order and Welcoming Remarks - Approximate time 11:30 a.m.
The Honorable Dianne Feinstein

Invocation
Dr. Rick Warren, Saddleback Church, Lake Forest, CA

Musical Selection
Aretha Franklin

Oath of Office Administered to Vice President-elect Joseph R. Biden, Jr. - Approximate time 11:46 a.m.
By Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, The Honorable John Paul Stevens

Musical Selection, John Williams, composer/arranger
Itzhak Perlman (Violin), Yo-Yo Ma (Cello), Gabriela Montero (Piano), Anthony McGill (Clarinet)

Oath of Office Administered to President-elect Barack H. Obama - Approximate time 11:56 a.m.
By the Chief Justice of the United States, The Honorable John G. Roberts, Jr.

Inaugural Address - Approximate Time 12:01 p.m.
The President of the United States, The Honorable Barack H. Obama

Poem
Elizabeth Alexander

Benediction
The Reverend Dr. Joseph E. Lowery

The National Anthem
The United States Navy Band "Sea Chanters"

Every person attending the Swearing-in Ceremony on the Capitol Grounds is required to have a ticket, including children (with the exception of infants too young to walk). The tickets are color coded and correspond to a specific section. Ticketed guests must enter the Capitol Grounds through the security entry point designated for their particular section. See a map.

Read More About the Presidential Inauguration

Comments

January 2, 2009 at 4:10 am
(1) Luvbites says:

I am coming in on a private car. Can I park in the RFK stadium too and take the shuttle bus or do I park somewhere else?

January 2, 2009 at 7:17 am
(2) dc says:

RFK is going to be used for bus parking only. If you are driving in, officials advise you to park near a Metro Station. Parking is going to be limited so you will need to arrive very early. Metro opens at 4 a.m. Sorry, I don’t have any alternate suggestions. The Metro area is going to be one huge parking lot. Here is a link to my article about transportation to the inauguration. http://dc.about.com/od/transportation/a/InaugTransport.htm

Good Luck,

Rachel

January 3, 2009 at 11:06 am
(3) Ginger says:

I would like to know if the Swearing-In Ceremony will be broadcast on the Internet.

January 3, 2009 at 2:56 pm
(4) susan says:

I am desperate for further clarification: there is a whole program described, beginning with “Musical Selections,” then “Call to Order and Welcoming Remarks,” then “Invocation,” etc. Does this whole program begin at 11:30? (I have a morning commitment but I will change it if it means I’m going to miss Aretha!!)

thank you so so so much for clarifying exactly what it is that begins at 11:30.

Susan

January 3, 2009 at 6:43 pm
(5) dc says:

Ginger – I don’t know about the internet broadcast, but will post something when I find out.

Susan – The program begins at 11:30 a.m. But to navigate the crowds you’ll need to arrive much earlier. Security gates open at 8 a.m.

January 3, 2009 at 7:08 pm
(6) Susan Sandoe says:

Hi, I’m a teacher in California who wants to have our school be participatory observers. Since we can’t take 2.5 hours to watch from 11:30 – 2:00pm est (8:30 – 11am pst), I’m wondering if you can give a better sense of the time breakdown so we will be sure to see the swearing-in and address of Obama. Any ideas??? Thanks! Susan

January 3, 2009 at 7:16 pm
(7) dc says:

The swearing-in begins at 11:30, the parade starts at 2:30, but they go to lunch in between so it won’t take up that entire time. I’d suggest starting at 11:30 or just record it and play it the following day.

January 3, 2009 at 7:45 pm
(8) Mary says:

I am concerned about the security restrictions. I recently had back surgery and am still considered hadicapped. I was hoping to bring a chair or walker to help me navigate. I am bringing my teenage grandchildren and they will be devastated if I can’t navigate the mall.

January 4, 2009 at 6:21 am
(9) dc says:

This event is going to very difficult for everyone to navigate. If you have a disability I would recommend staying home and watching it on TV, but here are the details from the inaugural committee about accessibility:

ACCESSIBILITY FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES

There will be no vehicular access or parking in the areas around the Capitol on January 20, 2009. This includes vehicles with special disability license plates or tags. While there will be locations outside the perimeter of the Capitol that will be designated as drop-off points for persons with disabilities, traffic conditions and restrictions may make reaching these drop-off locations extremely difficult.

As noted above, public transportation is expected to be running at “crush capacity” and WMATA has informed us that while Metro Access will operate for its regular customers, they do not expect to be able to provide pick-ups for people after events.

There will be designated areas for people with disabilities in each of the ticketed seating areas on the Capitol grounds, however these areas are limited in size and available on a first-come first-served basis. Persons in wheelchairs or utilizing walkers should be aware that they will need to move across bumpy surfaces, grassy areas, and possible icy areas (depending on the weather).

January 4, 2009 at 1:51 pm
(10) Geraldine says:

I understand that you can’t take chairs. Would it be ok to bring blankets? I don’t mind the standing but my mother can’t stand for long periods of time. At least she could sit on the blanket for a little while.

January 4, 2009 at 3:17 pm
(11) Mary says:

Does the no chair and no backpack rule apply to both the ticketed area and the unticketed mall area?

January 4, 2009 at 3:31 pm
(12) dc says:

Everyone attending the parade and within the Mall perimeter will be subject to screening. No chairs or backpacks are allowed. It looks like blankets are okay.

January 5, 2009 at 1:53 am
(13) Ellen says:

My daughter is performing with the chorus at the swearing-in ceremony. How will I be able to see her? How close can a person get without a ticket, and when would I have to get there?

January 5, 2009 at 6:24 am
(14) dc says:

There are 250,000 people with tickets. I think you’d be better off watching it on one of the screens on the Mall. Arrive early, that’s all I can say. Details on the locations of the screens should be coming out later this week. I’ll add it to my main article.

January 6, 2009 at 4:49 pm
(15) Doc M says:

Does anyone know the approximate time of the actual swearing-in of Obama, as opposed to the Welcoming Speech, Musical Selections, etc.? I know the Inauguration begins at 11:30, but how long between the Musical Selections, etc., and the swearing-in? I’d like to have my class watch the swearing-in and Inaugural Address, but the class doesn’t start till noon. Thanks

January 7, 2009 at 12:15 am
(16) Annette says:

Some of the balls do not give you information on how to purchase tickets such as the regional balls. How do i get that information?

January 7, 2009 at 7:18 am
(17) dc says:

Timing – There are no more specifics, you can always record it and play it the next day.

Ball info – No more details have been announced, but the press materials sound like the regional balls are for invited guests only. I’ll add more information as it is announced.

January 7, 2009 at 3:03 pm
(18) Carrie says:

To DocM – Constitutionally, the President-elect must be sworn in by noon on the 20th of January (Amendment 20). The incumbent President’s term expires then. So it will happen sometime between 11:30-12:00. It will probably be better for you to tape it for your noon class.

January 7, 2009 at 3:37 pm
(19) Angela says:

I am attending the events on Jan 20 in a rented 15 passenger Van, however, I was told by the rental company that I will not be allowed to drive the Van into D.C. because it’s prohibited by law for these types of vehicles to drive on the roads in D.C. Is this true and/or how would I find out?

January 7, 2009 at 4:04 pm
(20) dc says:

Transportation into the city is going to be next to impossible. Here is a report today about all of the bridges being closed off and more:

You are better off taking Metro, but parking there will be difficult. The Metro parking lots will open at 3:30 a.m. so that is probably your best bet. See my guide to inauguration transportation for more information. http://dc.about.com/od/specialevents/a/Inauguration.htm

January 8, 2009 at 9:26 am
(21) seandavid says:

Are there any sports bars near the National Mall that my son and I could go to and watch the festivities on a large screen INDOORs.

January 8, 2009 at 11:03 am
(22) Maria says:

I received one of the commemorative invitations to the inauguration (I understand 1 million were printed.) Does anyone know if that invitation grants entry into the swearing in ceremony?

January 8, 2009 at 11:58 am
(23) Jana says:

I am going to pick up my mom at the Dulles International Airport and drive her to Baltimore. Will the Washington Beltway be passable in the afternoon (~5 PM)of the Inauguration day, or should she try to change her ticket?

January 8, 2009 at 2:39 pm
(24) dc says:

Sean David – Here is a list of sportsbars.

Maria – I don’t know anything about commemorative invitations. I doubt it gives you access to the swearing-in since there are only 250,000 tickets. Check with whoever gave it to you. Sorry, I can’t be of more help.

Jana – I would change your plans if you can. The roads will be a mess. The parade kicks off at 2:30 and is supposed to last 2 plus hours, so 5 pm is probably in the height of the escape route. If people work in the suburbs they’ll be trying to get home in the late afternoon as well.

Rachel Cooper

January 8, 2009 at 2:52 pm
(25) RI says:

From an area resident who commute and use the DC metro system, expect total chaos. When the new stadium recently opened,the metro had problems handling the overload. Metro is advising people to walk. As much I would like to be there, I will be watching on TV.

January 9, 2009 at 4:18 pm
(26) ganap says:

Would anyone know if a tote bag would be acceptable to bring to the inauguration?

January 9, 2009 at 11:27 pm
(27) ellie says:

Does anyone know if we can bring cameras/videocameras to the swearing in?

January 9, 2009 at 11:40 pm
(28) seth says:

cnn.com is going to stream it live

January 10, 2009 at 1:13 am
(29) Frank Gale says:

I’ve just received an invitation from the The Presidential Inaugural Committee. I would like to know where the ticketed section of the the Inaugural Address would be?

Thanks

January 10, 2009 at 4:45 am
(30) Paul Galen says:

Frank,

If the invitation you received has a gold presidential seal with fine black lettering below it, and came with a letter describing as a commemorative document, then it is exactly that.

There were 1,000,000 produced and mailed to selected people depending on various criteria.

It does not allow you access to areas other than the public areas where anyone can attend.

It is a commemorative certificate for you to keep and hand down to future generations if you so desire.

Here is a video all about it. There was also a feature on CNN out there somewhere:

AOL Video

January 10, 2009 at 7:53 am
(31) dc says:

Ganap – A bag that is small, the size of a purse is probably okay. Here is the official list of prohibited items: http://dc.about.com/od/publicsafety/a/SecurityInaug.htm

Ellie – Yes cameras and video are fine, but no tripods or camera bags are allowed.

Seth and Paul – Thanks for the info.

January 10, 2009 at 11:32 am
(32) Patricia says:

What sort of time should i get to the mall is 9.00am ealry enough?

January 10, 2009 at 12:46 pm
(33) Anna says:

I am a middle school administrator in Northern California. We would like to be able to show our students this historic inauguration, but I am having difficulty finding even approximate times for the various activities. We have two of our students who will be performing with the San Francisco Boys Chorus that day as well. We obviously can’t sustain 3-4 hours watching tv as a whole school, so is there any way to find out more specific times for the various activities like the chorus, and the actual swearing-in ceremony? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

January 10, 2009 at 2:14 pm
(34) wtb says:

Is there a ticketed seating area chart available yet? We are coming by bus to RFK and our seats are in MALLST section, but I have no idea where that might be.

Is it better to walk or the Metro from RFK to our seats? And, is the Metro a subway or a train from RFK?

Thanks for whatever help you can give me!

January 10, 2009 at 2:47 pm
(35) dc says:

Patricia – 9 a.m may not be early enough, but who knows. Metro is opening at 4 a.m. and I am sure there will be plenty of people on it that early.

Anna – Specific times have not been given, I’d say record it and watch it the next day so you can shorten the time.

Wtb – Haven’t seen any seating chart. Metro is the subway. RFK is too far to walk to the Mall. For passengers arriving on buses parked at RFK Stadium, a free shuttle service will operate on January 20 from 5:00am until 2 hours after the conclusion of the Inaugural Parade (approximately 7:00pm).

January 10, 2009 at 2:52 pm
(36) ES says:

I received an official Inaugural invitation today as well. At first i thought I was actually going to be sitting up close lol! Oh well, it’s a nice keepsake!

January 10, 2009 at 3:50 pm
(37) cam says:

I received an invitation to the inauguration directly from the the Inauguration Committee. The letter refers to the invitation as a “commemorative invitation” to any of the “public events”. Is this a real invitation? Do you know what “public events”, I would have access to?

January 10, 2009 at 4:34 pm
(38) dc says:

There were 1 million produced and mailed to selected people. It is a commemorative certificate for you to keep but does not give you entrance or seating to anything. Here is a video all about it.

January 10, 2009 at 6:15 pm
(39) Alyssa Branch says:

I got one of those too! I am so proud to have been selected out of the millions and millions of people who donated to the Obama campaign to get an official invitation! I know it gets me nowhere (in the ticketed section) but you can believe that I’m framing this bad boy and putting it up on my wall. This is just a preview of things to come. GO OBAMA!

January 11, 2009 at 8:42 am
(40) ym says:

Ihave a friend that rides a scooter due to medical reasons. Will such medical devices be allowed within th the ticket holders seatibg areas?

January 11, 2009 at 9:29 am
(41) Diane, Virginia says:

I reaaly want to thank you RACHEL for your precious time and wonderful help. After reading all the comments, I know exactly what to do on the inauguration day. And I think we should all do the same. ” RIDE THE METRO AND BE READY TO WALK AND STAND ON YOUR FEET FOR MANY HOURS.” It is a good weight loss exercise just for one day. Also, have few bottles of water with you. “LET’S SET THE GOOD EXAMPLE FOR OUR PRESIDENT AND ALL THE GUESTS COMING FOR THE EVENT”

January 11, 2009 at 11:02 am
(42) iliniya says:

Hi — Do we need tickets to gain access to the outside events? I have 1 innauguration invite. Will that give me a different type of access than someone who just shows up to participate?
Thx for your help.

January 11, 2009 at 11:25 am
(43) dc says:

Ym – Check with the U.S. Capitol Police at 202-512-1226.

Diane – Thanks, its been fun covering this important event.

Iliniya – No tickets are required for access to the mall and the parade. If you received a commemorative letter that is just an invitation, not a ticket. Read some of the comments above for details.

January 11, 2009 at 12:30 pm
(44) Lisa says:

Will there something to do while we wait for the Inaguration ceremony like food and souvenir concessions, and entertainment? Will the Smithsonian Museum and National Gallery be open at their normal times? While waiting, at the National Mall, can we sit on blankets on the grass and on the steps of the Smithsonian museums? Can we bring umbrellas?

January 11, 2009 at 12:50 pm
(45) dc says:

There will be plenty of vendors selling food and obama memorabilia. The Smithsonian musuems will be open and will stay open late, I’m still working on confirming the exact hours. The American History Museum opens at 8 a.m. You can bring a blanket. Who knows how much sitting space there will be? Umbrellas are not allowed, so pray for clear weather.

January 11, 2009 at 8:18 pm
(46) Stephanie says:

Is it realistic to try to attend both events (swearing in and parade), if you have tickets? Will there be enough time to go from the swearing in to the bleacher seating?

Thanks!

January 11, 2009 at 9:14 pm
(47) toff says:

thanks for your help. This was the only place i could find to help my school to plan for showing the inaug.

January 11, 2009 at 10:08 pm
(48) mike says:

How much money is being spent on this event that could have been spent on helping the homeless and hungry ?

January 12, 2009 at 6:44 am
(49) dc says:

Stephanie – The Obamas will attend a luncheon between the ceremony and the parade, so there is time in between. If you have tickets to both you should be able to do it. If you do not have tickets for the parade then you’ll have trouble finding space in the crowd.

Toff – You are welcome. It’s been fun following this and helping people.

Mike – Estimated costs are about $75 million. Join the discussion in my forum.

January 12, 2009 at 8:54 am
(50) linda says:

Please tell me how I can tune in via the internet. It’s all I have.

January 12, 2009 at 9:18 am
(51) dc says:

CNN and Facebook will air it live here:

January 12, 2009 at 9:59 am
(52) Jodi says:

The New York Times will be broadcasting the Inauguration live on http://www.nytimes.com

January 12, 2009 at 10:18 am
(53) mk says:

I have a map showing the security check points for the parade route but it doesn’t show anything for the Mall area. Do we have to pass through a checkpoint if we’re just going to the Mall?

January 12, 2009 at 10:20 am
(54) mk says:

Also, do you know if the parade will also be broadcast on the jumbo-trons at the Mall?

January 12, 2009 at 11:02 am
(55) Barb from Bethlehem, PA says:

Will the swearing-in ceremony be viewable from the parade bleachers? Officials suggest getting to your seat as early as possible. Gates open at 7:00.

January 12, 2009 at 12:15 pm
(56) Allen says:

I am so proud to be able to see this Inauguration of Change. Not just for the American People, but also the world. We as Americans need to step up, and follow the leader we have chosen to make our rough times promising again. Many prayers to the Obama and Biden families as their lives will change.

January 12, 2009 at 1:38 pm
(57) als says:

I have the same question as #59 up there…are the restrictions on bags, etc. the same for those of us with no tickets who are just going to watch from the mall? I assumed they were but the more I read, the more I only see references to the parade route and the ticketed swearing-in attendees.

January 12, 2009 at 2:04 pm
(58) Kevin says:

I will be attending the Inaugural Parade and have tickets for section B-White. Because we will have to be seated no later than 1pm (and much earlier in order to ensure good seats), we will probably miss the swearing in activities.

Does anyone know if there will be jumbotrons along the parade route broadcasting the swearin in?

January 12, 2009 at 2:20 pm
(59) csn says:

How do you think rush hour will be from Frederick to Rockville, 7is am and 4pm go back? Everyone here in the office say’s 270 is going to be packed?

January 12, 2009 at 3:01 pm
(60) Color me confused says:

Trying to figure out when to turn on the TV… does the ceremony (beginning with the Marine Band as indicated above) start at 11:30, or will President Elect Obama be sworn in at 11:30?

January 12, 2009 at 4:19 pm
(61) poohbear says:

WOW! What and exciting experience. I was so hoping my dad, a mobile WWII Veteran that frequents the WWII memorial in DC and 82 year resident of Wash DC, could attend the swearing-in but sigh…

January 12, 2009 at 5:57 pm
(62) dc says:

I was away for a few hours today and came back to a lot of questions to answer. Here goes:

MK- This make shows the security perimeter in magenta. The entire area inside it will be partitioned off. The security checkpoints are noted below the map: http://dc.about.com/library/maps/blmapinauguration.htm

As far as I know the parade will be broadcast on the Jumbotrons as well

Barb – no word exactly on where the screens will be set up, but it’s likely that you won’t be able to watch the swearing-in from the parade route.

Als- As far as I know the restrictions are the same for everyone who enters the security perimeter around the Mall, including the Capitol grounds.

Kevin – I am not sure but will add that info to my article if I find out.

Csn – Traffic will be a nightmare. Everyone from the north has to get on the Metro at Shady Grove. I’d work from home if you can.

Color me confused – The whole thing begins at 11:30.

January 12, 2009 at 6:48 pm
(63) Barbara Ellen says:

My congressman gave me two tickets, but how and when do I find out where they are located? Does anybody have info about this?

January 12, 2009 at 7:55 pm
(64) craig says:

i am coming down with 3 other people will we be able to view the ceremony for free from the national mall??

January 12, 2009 at 8:18 pm
(65) Karyn in Weho says:

I’ve already framed my commemorative invitation (which is really beautiful, btw) but, since it didn’t come with r/t plane tix and a pre-paid hotel room, I’ll be watching the ceremony from the comfort of my living room in Los Angeles. Everyone who is lucky enough to be going – ENJOY!!! What an incredible event it’s going to be.

January 12, 2009 at 8:24 pm
(66) David says:

I have a ticket with at row and seat #, section MALLST. Any clue where this is?

January 12, 2009 at 8:32 pm
(67) mk says:

Thanks for the link to the map. It seems that the magenta lines show where vehicular traffic is prohibited. And the security checkpoints are just for the parade route. I’m going with the idea that the prohibited items like backpacks, etc don’t apply to the Mall, otherwise there would be security checkpoints mapped out in a wider area. Anyone know otherwise?

January 12, 2009 at 11:15 pm
(68) Linda says:

Is the inauguration being broadcast on all the major networks on the West Coast in live time?
I’m a teacher, and I want my class to watch the swearing in on our classroom t.v.

January 12, 2009 at 11:53 pm
(69) steve says:

we received an invitation from the presidential inaugural committee today, to attend and participate in the inauguration of Obama and Biden, complete with the inauguration seal, and it looks very real, but now we don’t think it is. How do we distinguish a real ticket?

January 13, 2009 at 3:24 am
(70) EW says:

Are tickets required for entrance into the National Mall? Or just for the Capitol area? Thanks!

January 13, 2009 at 6:39 am
(71) dc says:

Barbara A. – The tickets are color coded and that tells you the location. See this map: http://dc.about.com/library/maps/blmapInauguralSwearingin.htm

Craig – You can watch the ceremony from the TV screens for free on the Mall

David – See the map mentioned above. MallST means mall standing area (gray)

Mk- No backpaks will be allowed through the perimeter

Linda – As far as I know it will be on all networks live, check your local tv guide

Steve – It’s not a ticket, its a commemorative invitation – Read comment 44 for more details

EW – Tickets are only required for the Capitol

January 13, 2009 at 10:21 am
(72) blaine says:

may i park in the rfk buliding i am coming in a privtate car

January 13, 2009 at 10:24 am
(73) dc says:

No, RFK parking is being designated for buses only. You’ll have to park at a Metro Station. See my transportation guide for details. http://dc.about.com/od/transportation/a/InaugTransport.htm

January 13, 2009 at 11:19 am
(74) wk says:

I am a teacher and would like to show the inauguration to my students. Unfortunately, we have lunch scheduled during that same time. Will there be any rebroadcasts of the ceremony on CNN or other news websites that I could access from school to watch later in the day?

January 13, 2009 at 11:37 am
(75) stephanie Doscher says:

I have a ticket to the swearing-in (standing) but my 10-year old does not. Is there any way he would be allowed in with me?

January 13, 2009 at 12:20 pm
(76) at work says:

I just read it. EVERYONE must have a ticket other then infants that cannot walk.

January 13, 2009 at 2:01 pm
(77) dc says:

Wk – I’m sure the whole thing will be available to watch online. CNN and Facebook are carrying it. You may want to just record it and play it the next day so that you can save time.

January 13, 2009 at 2:27 pm
(78) Karen says:

I have tickets to the swearing-in..I don’t pick them up until Monday 1/19. How would we know if these are seated or standing? Will it indicate on the ticket..or is all of the swearing-in standing only?

January 13, 2009 at 3:28 pm
(79) amanda says:

i was also wondering about restrictions if you are just going to the mall. Are you saying that to get within the magenta outlined area you have to go through a checkpoint? I was planning on getting of at L’Enfant and walking up 7th but if what you are saying is correct then i will have to get off at federal triangle..

January 13, 2009 at 4:11 pm
(80) Robin says:

ARETHA??? They should have chosen BEYONCE!!! and I’m from the 60′s!… Robin

January 13, 2009 at 4:25 pm
(81) Dennis says:

Swearing in at 11 am what time EST, MTN, Pac? this blog is national and not all of us have any idea where you at when you wrtie something to it..

January 13, 2009 at 4:32 pm
(82) dc says:

Karen – You’ll know by the color of the tickets. Yellow and orange have seats, Blue, Purple and Silver are standing.

Amanda – I’m sorry if I was misleading. The map is correct and the magenta lines are restricted to traffic. You can get off at L’Enfant and walk up 7th.

January 13, 2009 at 7:07 pm
(83) Pat says:

This will be a sad day. Even the press said if that had reported the TRUTH…McCain would of won. IF a Republican had done ANY one of of the shady things Obama did (no birth certificate, questionable campaign fund raising, campaign promises he will not be able to keep) they would have been dogged on big time. Hopefully the press will treat Obama the way they treated Bush. History will be good to Bush because he is a good and honest man!

January 13, 2009 at 7:56 pm
(84) Diane says:

Pat, and others, I feel sorry for you if you really feel like that. He does have a birth certificate. You and others, really need to check what you are reading and where your sources come from.

January 13, 2009 at 9:47 pm
(85) Mary says:

How big are the jumbotrons? How large an area will be able to see and hear the jumbotrons? Is there a chance that one might get onto the mall but not be able to see a jumbotron?
By the way thanks for answering all these questions.

January 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm
(86) Beatriz says:

I received an invitation to the Presidential Inaguration by mail yesterday. It was on 8×10 paperstock with a gold seal and it came from the Inaguration Committee. It looks real but maybe it’s a hoax. Has anyone else received anything like this. The body read:
The Presidential Inagural Committee
requests the honor of your presence
to attend and participate
in the
Inauaguration of
Barrack H. Obama
as President of the United States of America and
Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
as Vice President of the United States of America
on Tuesday, the twentieth of January
two thousand and nine
in the City of Washington

Is it really an invitation or propaganda?

January 13, 2009 at 10:55 pm
(87) Dihard says:

For the standing room only tickets for the swearing in ceremony: if two people have different color tickets (one purple, one blue) will they have to stay in that designated section, or does that open into just one big standing room only section that, if they can find one another, they could be together?

January 14, 2009 at 7:28 am
(88) dc says:

Mary – I don’t know how large the jumbotrons are but there are 21 spread throughout the National Mall, including a few on the Capitol Grounds.

Beatriz – Please read comment #38 for your answer

Dihard – The colored sections are separate. Please see http://dc.about.com/library/maps/blmapInauguralSwearingin.htm for details

January 14, 2009 at 9:20 am
(89) CrowneP says:

I’m trying to help guests at my hotel who have questions about arriving to the swearing-in. For guests without tickets, what is the earliest time people can arrive on the mall?

January 14, 2009 at 9:25 am
(90) dc says:

Security entrances to the parade route open at 7 a.m. My main article includes the details of all of the events. You can check it out here:

January 14, 2009 at 10:19 am
(91) Jeff says:

I need to get to Dulles by 3pm on Tue. Coming from Arlington, 66 west and the Dulles access road (267) will be open, right? No one will be going west for inauguration stuff, so it shouldn’t be too bad to get from Arlington to Dulles, right? If I get dropped off, for my wife to get back to Arlington, 267 will be open to route 7 or Spring Hill (but not all the way onto 66 east), right? And either 7 or Spring Hill to 123 north to Old Dominion will be open, right? Crazy to attempt this?

January 14, 2009 at 11:43 am
(92) di-hard says:

I see the Lincoln Memorial is outside the magenta line on the map. Does that mean I could take a backpack or cane to the ceremony they will be having there on Saturday or Sunday (not sure which day it is). Thanks!

January 14, 2009 at 11:57 am
(93) di-hard says:

I just found the answer to my last question (#92). But the info didn’t say whether canes would be allowed for the Lincoln Memorial event on Sunday. Do you know? Thanks!

January 14, 2009 at 12:11 pm
(94) dc says:

I don’t. If it is for medical use, it may be okay, but seems like something that could easily be used as a weapon. ???

January 14, 2009 at 12:29 pm
(95) Chris says:

I see that you have told other educators to record the ceremomy and watch it the next day. If we want to go ahead with the plan of watching it live, based on previous inaugurals, what is your best educated guess as to when the actual swearing-in and inaugural address will take place? The 20th amendment says it should take place at noon. How close do we usually come to noon for the swearing-in?

January 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm
(96) mg says:

From upper nw what time do you think we should head to the metro for the mall (no tickets?) We are coming from California and want to make sure we have space, but we also have two children and don’t want to be standing in the cold too long. Also, do you think there will be enough space on the mall for all who want to attend or will some be turned away? Thanks for all your info!

January 14, 2009 at 2:04 pm
(97) Susan says:

For educators wanting to share the inauguration with their students, check out this web page:

January 14, 2009 at 2:30 pm
(98) dc says:

Chris – Your guess is as good as mine.

Mg – The parade route will be limited to about 280,000 people. Metro opens at 4 a.m. The security checkpoints open at 7 a.m. Between 1 to 4 million people are expected to show up, so you decide based on those facts.

Susan – Thanks for sharing this.

January 14, 2009 at 2:33 pm
(99) lns says:

The swearing in will be at noon sharp.

January 14, 2009 at 7:40 pm
(100) Ferne McCuen says:

My husband and I are planning on attending the inauguration and since we don’t have tickets we hope to be one of millions on the mall. Would it be allowed to carry a walking stick that converts to a small seat? I have trouble with arthritis and might need assistance in the walk to the mall. I read the not allowed list of things and didn’t see anything about these types of seats.

January 14, 2009 at 7:52 pm
(101) dc says:

The list says no sticks or poles, so I don’t know if I would risk it.

January 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm
(102) Ramona says:

Can you take handheld portable TVs to the parade and do you know if there will be reception? Thank you.

January 15, 2009 at 1:09 am
(103) Maureen says:

Find lots of details and links re: security, transportation, etc., on the Secret Service web page for the inaugural: http://www.secretservice.gov/presidential_inaugural.shtml. It seems like there are fewer security restrictions for people on the Mall than those on the Inaugural parade route, the White House reviewing stand and the Inaugural balls.

I hope anyone and everyone can share, in some way, this glorious celebration! Live streaming on the Internet (i.e, CNN, MSNBC, etc.), big screen showings at community centers, bars and churches, quiet gatherings at home — !!

January 15, 2009 at 9:47 am
(104) Denise J. Loua says:

I won’t be able to attend President Barack Obama’s swearing in ceremony this year but I will attend in 2012, God willing!!!! My beautiful twin daughters will have to represent our family this year, (Tanya and Sonya)!! God has been in complete control of the entire process; beginning with the primary and general elections, and he’s in control of the Inaugurational ceremony!!! Everythings going to be okay during the ceremony!!! God has it all under control!!!

January 15, 2009 at 9:56 am
(105) Pete says:

Hi! We’re 16 Norwegians coming all the way from Europe to watch the inaauguration ceremony. We’re staying in Delaware (!) from the 19th until the 21st.

Does anyone know how on earth we may travel from Delaware to DC to watch the inauguration? We have three rented cars, but I suppose it will be close to impossible to drive to DC. Perhaps we can go from Delaware to Baltimore or something, and then take a train or something? I suppose we need to leave Delaware extremely early, perhaps on the evening of the 19th..

Or is it possible to take a train from Delaware to DC? A tour-de-Biden? :)

January 15, 2009 at 10:54 am
(106) Jeff says:

I work in chantilly and was going to try to work on tuesday. I live in Arlington and will be leaving work at 5pm. Any chance I will be able to get home before midnight?

January 15, 2009 at 10:54 am
(107) dc says:

Amtrak trains go from Delaware to DC, but I would think the tickets are sold out. Check with them. Yes, it will be impossible to drive into DC and the train from Baltimore (MARC) is sold out. The only way to get there will probably be to leave really early and get on the Washington Metro, which opens at 4 am. The Metro is going to be very chaotic. Here is my transportation page: http://dc.about.com/od/transportation/a/InaugTransport.htm

Jeff – I’d try to leave early because the parade won’t end until 5 p.m. so traffic will be heavier later in the evening. Keep in mind that A lot of people will be going into town in the evening to attend the balls. That’s probably what most of the traffic in your area will be.

Good Luck,

January 15, 2009 at 10:56 am
(108) Mark says:

I will be coming from southern maryland back to arlington on sunday. Will i be able to get back before the nfc championship game if i leave at noon? Will the beltway even be open on sunday?

January 15, 2009 at 11:06 am
(109) dc says:

The beltway will be open, but I would expect heavy traffic. The concert is from 2:30-4pm. So probably the best time to arrive in the area would be around 3:00 right in the middle of it. Can’t say for sure?

January 15, 2009 at 11:29 am
(110) William says:

We are staying at a hotel in Baltimore. What is the best way to get into DC and which stop or area is recommended.

January 15, 2009 at 11:52 am
(111) dc says:

The best way would be by MARC train but its sold out. The best Metro stop to go to is probably College Park. Note – I early said Greenbelt and just checked and saw that it is open to charter buses only.

January 15, 2009 at 12:04 pm
(112) William says:

Thanks, We will use the Greenbelt stop. I am assuming that we can walk a distance and view the parade from that area. Where is the mall with the screens that I keep hearing about.

January 15, 2009 at 12:13 pm
(113) dc says:

Please read my guide to the inaugural parade here: http://dc.about.com/od/specialevents/a/InaugParade.htm

January 15, 2009 at 12:55 pm
(114) Dave says:

Hi! Me and some friends are drving from Seaford, Delaware. How close to DC do you get by car? Is it possible to park it near the Greenbelt-stop, and then jump on the Metro? Let’s say we leave Seaford at midnight, then arrive at Greenbelt at 3 am, then wait for the Metro to open at 4 am?

Thx for an awesome site, and your extremely valuable help!

January 15, 2009 at 1:06 pm
(115) Barbra Bearden says:

Join the Activist Coalition of DC in McPherson Square for Inauguration fun and activism! Tell President Obama what you HOPE for and then find out how to make it happen!

WeHopeforChange.org

January 15, 2009 at 1:32 pm
(116) dc says:

William and Dave – I was just looking at my transportation info and noticed that the Greenbelt Metro is open to charter buses only. You’ll have to go to College Park. And yes, if you get there by 4 a.m. you should be able to park there.

January 15, 2009 at 1:40 pm
(117) InnovativeEdu says:

@Susan Thanks for sharing my blog. I have collected numerous (FREE!) resources, viewing ideas and lessons there and I hope that parents, students, and teachers will find the information useful for the Inauguration and general ideas for educating innovatively.

Lisa Nielsen
The Innovative Educator

January 15, 2009 at 1:46 pm
(118) Lee says:

Can you associate any sort of time to the events above maybe based on previous years? For example, Call to Order: 11:30 am . . . Inaugural Address: 12:15pm . . . etc. Thanks for all your help!

January 15, 2009 at 1:48 pm
(119) Lee says:

What time do you suggest lining up at the gates?

January 15, 2009 at 2:00 pm
(120) Brooke says:

I don’t have a ticket to the swearing in ceremony, but wanted to know what time the mall area for non ticket holders will be able to vie for space to watch on the jumbotrons? I saw that entry for ticket holders begins at 8am. It that the same without a ticket? thanks

January 15, 2009 at 2:20 pm
(121) dc says:

I don’t have any more detail about the schedule. The gates to the parade route open at 7 am and the gates to the Capitol open at 8 a.m.

January 15, 2009 at 2:22 pm
(122) michelle says:

What about stops on the Whistle-Stop train that Obama will be taking from Baltimore to DC? ARe there stops that people can attend and not have to go into DC?

January 15, 2009 at 2:39 pm
(123) dc says:
January 15, 2009 at 5:08 pm
(124) Randy Wilson says:

I do radio here in mtns. of E. Ky and I guess I can bring a small recorder in if they are letting cameras and video recorders in…right? How hard will it be to get to see the parade after viewing the inauguration if you don’t have a ticket? Which checkpoint will be the best for non-ticketed folks? We are coming in at 7am via the Va. Rail Express and leaving @6pm on same. See any problems with that?
I really appreciate this service you are doing.
Randy from the Appalachian Hills

January 15, 2009 at 6:04 pm
(125) Lorie says:

I have seen it asked several times but no one has officially answered. Is 11:30 am EST the time the swearing in of the vice president and president elect will start to happen?

January 15, 2009 at 6:12 pm
(126) dc says:

Randy – Officials are saying that it is not likely to be able to attend both the ceremony and the parade. You will probably have to choose one or the other. Please see my map of the parade route for security checkpoints: http://dc.about.com/library/maps/blmapinauguration.htm

Lorie – Yes it is 11:30 a.m. EST and says that at the top of this page.

January 15, 2009 at 6:41 pm
(127) Kim says:

Do you know if they collect the tickets to the swearing-in, or if you just need them to get in but can keep them afterwards?

Thanks!

January 16, 2009 at 12:34 am
(128) jmg says:

I have standing tickets to the Inauguration. I understand the security gates open at 8 a.m. but should I arrive much earlier than that to line up? Is 6 a.m. too early — will that get me a better position in the standing section?

January 16, 2009 at 1:28 am
(129) Holly says:
January 16, 2009 at 1:31 am
(130) Suzie says:

Hey Y’all. Whatever trash you bring in with you, please take it out with you and don’t leave it on the grounds of our Capital. Please be humble with respect for our country and this historic event by leaving the mall and DC better than you found it. Thanks!

January 16, 2009 at 6:11 am
(131) dc says:

Kim – I don’t know

Jmg- Sounds like a smart idea to me.

January 16, 2009 at 6:28 am
(132) California Dave says:

Awesome blog. Thanks for your patience with us & your great answers! You made me feel much more confident about the goings on.

January 16, 2009 at 6:40 am
(133) Ava says:

Thanks for the great information.

January 16, 2009 at 10:31 am
(134) John says:

How about am answer to #57. Nobody seems to want to handle it.

January 16, 2009 at 10:33 am
(135) TNM says:

Do you know if we would be able to see the swearing-in ceremony from the bleachers on the parade route (even if on screens or jumbotrons)? I have tickets to the parade but I’m worried about missing the entire ceremony while on the bleachers waiting for the parade. Thanks for all the helpful answers.

January 16, 2009 at 10:48 am
(136) Luis says:

Do you know if Fort Myer and Arlington Cemetary will be open to foot traffic on Inauguration Day? I would like to walk from Arlington across the Memorial Bridge to get to DC, but am not sure if I can.

January 16, 2009 at 11:52 am
(137) Karla says:

Thanks so much! This has been so informative!

January 16, 2009 at 11:52 am
(138) MG says:

While I think it is a wonderful gesture for you to attempt to address the concerns of individuals, your responses to persons with disabilities as well as teachers and educators who are trying to share this memorable event with their students. If there was an interest in recording and showing the event the next day, there would not have been a need to ask a question of you. Also, there are laws to protect Americans with disabilities from discrimination and/or exclusion from public events and perhaps you should be mindful of such laws when responding to persons who are disabled.

January 16, 2009 at 12:05 pm
(139) BM says:

We plan to attend the swearing-in ceremony, and I’ll be helping someone by pushing a wheelchair. Can you suggest a good link that shows routes to walk from say, Union Station to the access points on Jan 20th?

Thanks!

January 16, 2009 at 12:37 pm
(140) MG says:

Correction: While I think it is a wonderful gesture for you to attempt to address the concerns of individuals, your responses to persons with disabilities as well as teachers and educators who are trying to share this memorable event with their students, seem to have an undertone of uncaring sarcasm. If there was an interest in recording and showing the event the next day, there would not have been a need to ask a question of you. Also, there are laws to protect Americans with disabilities from discrimination and/or exclusion from public events and perhaps you should be mindful of such laws when responding to persons who are disabled.

January 16, 2009 at 1:11 pm
(141) Lauris says:

Are there check point for the unticketed area of the mall to watch the Swearing In Ceremony and if so, where are they. I live south of the mall near Waterfront Metro Station. Are there any checkpoints south of the mall? The map keeps referring to parade checkpoints. Thanks.

January 16, 2009 at 1:41 pm
(142) Scott says:

I’m planning to come down from Philadelphia with my 4 year old son by Amtrak and arrive by 9:30 am on the 20th. We’re mainly coming for the swearing in ceremony at 11:30 and maybe some of the music, etc. Will we be able to walk from Union station to the Mall? I have a stroller for him (they appear to be allowed in Mall) and the Mall doesn’t look that far. Is it? Thanks for all the tips.

January 16, 2009 at 1:42 pm
(143) H says:

Actual tickets vs. commemorative invitations:

Actual tickets are smaller than 8×10 and have a color-coded border corresponding to your seating section on the map. You would most likely have had to register for them and they will not have come through regular mail, but rather by UPS or FedEx.

If you receive a full-sheet cardstock with an accompanying letter through regular mail, it is most likely a commemorative invitation rather than an actual ticket.

January 16, 2009 at 1:44 pm
(144) H says:

Oh, and the bridges close at 3am on Tuesday, so after that cars will not be allowed into the city and public transit becomes your only option.

January 16, 2009 at 2:24 pm
(145) CMT says:

I just wanted to give proper thanks to the amazing job and communication of Rachel Cooper. Thank you for this guide and helping to make this inauguration a more memorable and historical event for all.

January 16, 2009 at 2:39 pm
(146) Heidi says:

Regarding comment 116 – Although Greenbelt station parking was initially reserved for bus parking, on January 9 Metro issued a press release announcing that parking will be available at the Greenbelt station. See http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=2403

January 16, 2009 at 6:47 pm
(147) dc says:

I took a break this afternoon. I’m back and will try to do my best to answer questions, but please realize that this is a very complicated event and I may not be able to answer every question.

John – About #57. I am not sure of the answer. I’ve searched myself and can not find anything that explains exactly how the security will work on the Mall. I would think that there will be security around the Mall itself but all of the websites that I have checked refer to the Capitol and Pennsylvania Ave. Wish I knew more and if I can track down an answer I will add it to my article about security. You can try to call the National Park Service at (202) 426-6841

TNM- You will not be able to watch the swearing-in ceremony from the parade route. Officials are asking attendees to choose one event or the other.

Luis – I don’t know whether Arlington Natiional Cemetery will be open. The bridge is open to pedestrians and bicyclists only. Call the cemetery at (703) 607-8000.

BM – You will walk down Louisiana Ave. to 3rd St. http://dc.about.com/library/maps/blmapinauguration.htm

MG – I am sorry if my response seems abrupt. This is a bit overwhelming and I am trying to answer what I can. I do not know exact timing and officials have been warning the public that this event will be difficult for the healthy to handle and that people should be realistic about their ability to attend the events.

Lauris – I am not sure, see my response to John.

Scott – The problem is that to get there you have to cross over the parade route. I’m also still not sure about the use of strollers. I’d say call the National Park Service – (202) 426-6841

Heidi – Thanks for that correction. I will adjust my transportation page.

Everyone else – Thanks for your comments and information.

January 16, 2009 at 7:27 pm
(148) bgilbert says:

I’m sure the ceremony will be streamed online. Do you know what site we can go to to watch it?

January 16, 2009 at 8:03 pm
(149) dc says:
January 16, 2009 at 8:24 pm
(150) juss a 8th grader says:

da inauguration will be on tv too…so u dont need to go online to watch it…unless ur at work and u dont haf a tv there…im juss an 8th grader…n gonna watch it at skwel on tuesday…so yea, juss ignore me if this is totally no help…

January 17, 2009 at 11:55 am
(151) Marcella Juarez says:

I rec’d a commemorative invite so I’m not going to Washington but I have read all comments and responses. I am amazed that you (Rachel) are doing this!! You are so generous to give of yourself this way. It’s wonderful that others are so willing to share info with other posters. Blessings to you

January 17, 2009 at 1:48 pm
(152) Tiffany says:

I am planning to attend the Inauguration on the National Mall. Can I bring a chair to sit in or will that be a security issue?

January 17, 2009 at 2:58 pm
(153) Rachel Cooper says:

Tiffany – Chairs are not allowed.

To everyone – I just had a conversation with the U. S. Park Police and verified that strollers on the Mall are okay as long as you have a child sitting in it. Wheel chairs and medical devices are okay. Strollers are not allowed on the parade route.

January 17, 2009 at 5:04 pm
(154) michelle Greene says:

My son and I are taking the train into D.C. and planning on arriving at 2 a.m. the day of. We have no tickets, for the inauguration, but are planning on watching it from the lawn.
Do you think someone will be around that early to direct us where to go? If not any ideas or suggestions?
thanks much
Michelle

January 17, 2009 at 5:21 pm
(155) dc says:

You can not access the Mall until 7 a.m. I’m not sure what to tell you to do while you are waiting. Ask someone at Union Station. There will be plenty of volunteers and security officials to direct you later in the morning.

January 17, 2009 at 7:28 pm
(156) Ej says:

Where will the ticket people sit/stand at the swearing in ceremony?

January 17, 2009 at 9:25 pm
(157) H says:

I am a teacher and would like the class to watch the events. I was wodnering if it is possible to get an estimate as to how long after the ceremony begins, at 11:30am, does Obama take the oath of office?

January 18, 2009 at 1:11 am
(158) vorpalaprov says:

on 01/20/09, I arrive at 8:30-ish AM at the Greyhound Bus Station, and leaving at 8:30-ish PM == Does anyone know how safe a walk it is to and from the Bus station to Union Station — and especially from Union to Greyhound at night???

Are there any streets better and safer to walk as a single woman than others?

Also, I am not going to do the parade, I just want to be part of the swearing in… without a ticket, is there a less trafficked entry point from the E Street/North Capitol Street area?

Thanks!!!! Lets all be proud of our accomplishment as Americans to take back our country!
Rachel, you are amazing!

January 18, 2009 at 1:20 am
(159) vorpalaprov says:

#26 — according to the Secret Service, bags can be no larger than 8″ x 6″ x 4″ — and dont kid yourself, they TAKE whatever they deem prohibitive, and you will never see it again.

So dont risk it! Be as conservative as possible in what you carry. Im using a small leather waist pack myself. Money, CC, ID, cellphone, tissues and lip balm… that’s it!!! LOL

January 18, 2009 at 11:01 am
(160) ALW says:

Hi! I know that the list of items allowed for the swearing in include bags no longer tan 8×6. I am assuming those are plastic bags, totes bags…… and that we can carry in a purse of any size (within reason). Is that correct? Also, does anyone have any information about the Southern States Ball?

January 18, 2009 at 11:40 am
(161) JH says:

I’ll say this since no one else will: THANK YOU for all your information and help! EVERYONE PLEASE RE-READ THE POSTS BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION THAT’S ALREADY BEEN ASKED TWO DOZEN TIMES!!!

January 18, 2009 at 1:06 pm
(162) Lorna says:

will the inauguration be repeated and shown in California @ 11:30 a.m. and/or in the evening?

January 18, 2009 at 7:30 pm
(163) Aussie says:

Thanks to all, in particular to “dc” for all the great information provided. Looks like I’ll be getting up early (3am) to watch from Australia. Everyone have a great Inauguration day!

January 18, 2009 at 8:09 pm
(164) Miriam says:

What time will the Bethesda metro open? Can people without tickets wait in line to see the swearing in ceremony?

January 18, 2009 at 9:02 pm
(165) Hailu Tsigie says:

It is a real life time event,It is a moment that not only America but the world has never seen before and will never see in many decades from now.

January 18, 2009 at 9:29 pm
(166) Peter Nelson says:

The reason why people seem to be asking the same question over and over again is because “dc” is imprecise. At one point “dc” says “the whole thing” starts at 11:30; elsewhere “dc” says that’s when Biden takes the oath. But “the whole thing” doesn’t start when Biden takes the oath! It starts when Senator Feinstein does the Call To Order. So when is the Call to Order?

January 18, 2009 at 9:54 pm
(167) jo says:

Peter Nelson needs to relax..
DC you’re awesome, thanks for all of the info.

January 18, 2009 at 11:47 pm
(168) Nick says:

Is it possible to leave your car at a Metro overnight(from Monday eve to Tues)? I live in PG County (Largo station)and I’d like to stay overnight with friends in DC to attend the swearing in ceremony.

January 18, 2009 at 11:50 pm
(169) Libby says:

thanks DC. Quite an undertaking and with such patience.

January 19, 2009 at 5:52 am
(170) LRS says:

jojo I’m with Nelson on this,It starts when offically Senator Feinstein does the Call To Order. Then we have church.That is to say, prayer, selection by Miss Franklin, preaching by the New President and then off to the fellowship hall. :)
Just putting a little humor on the subject. I wish I could be there.

January 19, 2009 at 9:02 am
(171) dc says:

Here are my final responses to questions. I need to spend today posting pictures to my photo gallery and welcome everyone to send in your best photos and I may include them. You can check out what I’ve got so far here: http://dc.about.com/od/specialeventphotos1/ig/Inauguration-Pictures-2009/

To everyone, but especially all those teachers who have asked about the exact timing of the swearing-in ceremony, I have received an official media guide with the details. I’ve added them to the top of this page.

Ej – Your ticket should have come with a map.

vorpalaprov – I’m not really sure of the safety but it’s not far and you should walk straight up First St. There should still be plenty of people around at that hour and there is an inaugural ball at Union Station so that area should be really busy.

ALW – Bring with you as small a purse as you can to carry what you need. I don’t have any info about the Southern States Ball. Sorry.

Lorna – I don’t know. Check your tv guide.

Miriam – Metro opens at 4 a.m. You must have a ticket to see the swearing-in at the Capitol. The gates open at 8 a.m.

Peter – I don’t know where you’ve seen that information, but it is not on my site. Other About.com sites have some info on the inauguration, but my coverage is the most indepth. I’ve added details about the timing to the top of this page.

Nick – From Metro’s website: Automobiles will not be permitted to enter Metro parking lots after 11 p.m. on Monday, January 19. Vehicles parked at Metro lots must leave by 2 a.m. or by the time the station closes, soon after 2 a.m. or risk being ticketed and towed. Metro’s parking lots will reopen at 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday, January 20.

Thank you everyone for visiting my site and I hope you have a wonderful time. I have gotten press credentials to attend the swearing-in ceremony and am really looking forward to taking part in this historic event. I’ll be posting lots of pictures in the coming days.

Rachel Cooper
Guide to Washington, DC

You may feel free to continue to add comments or ask questions among readers.

January 19, 2009 at 2:54 pm
(172) beth says:

can someone tell me if there will be security checkpoints along the mall between the washington monument and the lincoln to watch the swearing-in ceremony?

thanks.

January 19, 2009 at 5:15 pm
(173) ddc says:

Beatriz,
If it really says “Barrack” I would guess it’s fake. I would think any true / official communications would get the name correct. :)

January 19, 2009 at 5:19 pm
(174) vanessa says:

will this be on Eastern time or Central time.

January 19, 2009 at 7:44 pm
(175) Jennifer Samuels says:

Are there still tickets available for the inauguration?

January 19, 2009 at 9:39 pm
(176) James M. Kelly says:

Are the port-a-potties in the vacinity of all the festifities going to be heated?

January 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm
(177) Judy H says:

Super helpful. Thanks!

January 20, 2009 at 12:41 am
(178) JO says:

January 20, 2009 at 3:55 am
(179) OL says:

How to bring expensive DSLR camera wth lens w/o a bag? What if it rain? Bags are restricted, backpacks are restricted. How to do with large cameras?
thank you.

January 20, 2009 at 7:19 am
(180) J in Guam says:

I am a military dependent who currently lives in Guam. Unfortunately we are 15 hours ahead of est. I am heartbroken that our thoughtless cable provider decided to bring the cable/internet down beginning at midnight (Guam time would be 9 am est.) My entire family was looking forward to watching it live on cable. Will I be able to view the program recorded somehow? This is an event I did not want my children to miss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

January 20, 2009 at 10:44 am
(181) TNR says:

A tip for all of you. You may watch the inauguration swearing online also from many internet tv channels. There is an extensive list of online channels at http://tvnewsradio.com/community/index.php?topic=8.0

January 20, 2009 at 1:43 pm
(182) A Tight Scotswoman says:

I WISH PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF ANNOUNCING THE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS HAD DID A BETTER JOB OF LETTING THE PUBLIC KNOW IN ADVANCE.

I HEARD THE SWEARING IN CEREMONY WOULD BE AT NOON CENTRAL TIME AND LATER AT 11 A.M. CENTRAL TIME.

DUE TO INACCURATE INFORMATION, I MISSED EVERYTHING AND WILL NOW HAVE TO FIND IT ON YOUTUBE.

IT WONT BE THE SAME.

I MISSED OUT ON THE MOST HISTORIC EVENTS OF MY LIFETIME AND WILL NEVER SEE SUCH A MOMENT AGAIN.

SHAME ON THE NEWS MEDIA AND ESPECIALLY MY LOCAL PAPER FOR NOT MAKING THE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS KNOWN.

January 21, 2009 at 11:23 am
(183) R. Bevis says:

The Inauguration was supposed to be 11.56 but in fact never too place till 12.06 so technically the President has to be sworn in by noon…this did not happen….so what now…is the Constitution wrong, if so or if not….someone should address the issue as it is complete nonsense to say the new President must be sworn in by noon….the mistakes including the Rev saying this is the 43rd President…then Obama making his fluff in his first sentence….does not bode well for America

January 22, 2009 at 8:43 am
(184) W says:

are you seriously worried about a FLUFF in the oath? Do you know how much stuff was possibly going through his mind? Besides, he has a lot more to worry about than you do obviously if you’re worried about ONE WORD he misinterpreted…idiot.

August 22, 2010 at 4:54 pm
(185) B.S. Robbins says:

I have a question. Do incoming presidents have their hands on the Bible when giving the oath of office, or at any time during the ceremony. I have found no word on this question in the material. Thank you.