1. Local
Rachel Cooper

DC Parking Meter Changes - Will They Affect You?

By January 6, 2010

Have you heard about the DC parking meter changes? Later this month, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) will begin enforcing parking meter payment requirements on Saturdays at all metered spaces in Washington DC. Crews will begin updating the more than 100,000 parking regulatory signs and nearly 17,000 meters to reflect the change. Enforcement is effective once the signage is changed. Before parking at a metered space, be sure to carefully check the days and hours of enforcement. The parking meter rates are also being simplified so that there will now be only two types of parking meter pricing zones: premium demand zones and normal demand zones. It will cost $2.00/hour to park in premium demand zones, which include the busiest commercial districts and $0.75/hour to park in normal demand zones. Nighttime parking enforcement hours will be also be extended to 10 pm in the following premium demand zones:
  • Adams Morgan
  • Georgetown Historic District
  • Penn Quarter/Chinatown
  • U Street, NW Corridor
  • Downtown Central Business District
  • Maine and Water Streets, NW
  • The National Mall
  • Wisconsin Avenue, NW (from Van Ness Street to Western Avenue)
In 2010 DDOT plans to roll out a number of parking meter pilot programs including pay-by-cell, in-car metering systems, and solar-powered single space meters that take credit card payment. Each of the pilot programs will explore the latest in parking meter strategies and technologies.

The changes in rates and enforcement are part of a comprehensive overhaul of DC's parking meter system. According to the DDOT, many drivers park for free for long periods of time, frustrating people looking for short-term, curbside parking to patronize local businesses. With paid parking evenings and Saturdays, DDOT expects there will be more turnover in spaces which will allow for more residents and visitors to find available short-term parking in commercial areas. So what do you think of the changes? Will added costs change how you park in the city? Are you more likely to take public transportation?

More About Parking in Washington DC
  • Parking Near the National Mall
  • Long Term Parking in Washington, DC
  • Parking and Transportation to Nationals Stadium
  • Georgetown Parking Garages and Lots
  • Parking Near the Verizon Center
  • Parking in Old Town Alexandria
  • Airport Parking - Washington, DC Airport Parking Options and Discounts
  • Comments

January 14, 2010 at 2:22 pm
    (1) Bill Chapin says:

The price of parking is ridiculous. This was changed for 1 reason: to make more money. The only difference it’s made is that now more than half the cars at meters have handicap stickers. There aren’t more handicap people parking, it’s just that everyone who can possibly get a sticker will get one – even if they have to drag Grandma into the DMV. I bet meter revenues have dropped significantly. The commercial parking lots owners are laughing all the way to the bank.

January 15, 2010 at 2:54 pm
    (2) Jerry B. says:

I understand what DC is saying, they are broke and trying to make money any way possible… here is the problem, what do people who work in the downtown establishments do? I work at bar near DuPont of Connecticut. I start at 5 PM and work until close, around 2:15AM during the week and 3:15 on weekends. I live outside the city, metro is not an option because of service hours and garage parking is expensive and most close before I get off. Metering to 10, especial during the week (M-W) is crazy. It is basically dead down there after 6:30 PM anyway… It will cost at least $10.00, and I have to move my car every two hours (not feasible). After driving in, parking several times, and driving home, is it really worth while coming into the city to work? Can a working man get a break in this city? This is really upsetting and complicates working in the city after hours.

September 8, 2010 at 5:22 am
    (3) Thandi Myeni says:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO bitter about parking. I am a graduate student struggling to budget every cent I have in this expensive city. I live in Mount Vernon triangle and pay each year for permit parking. In our four block radius, with 4 high rise buildings, we only have 1/2 a block of permit parking. Initially this did not matter because I would leave for work before 7:30am when the meters started and come back after 6:30pm, when the meters ended. On Saturdays I could leave my car parked outside my house. With the new rules, metered parking from 7am to 10pm Monday thru saturday I was forced to rent a space for $200 which is way more than I paid for a space in Boston. Hello Ramen noodles for me!

November 11, 2010 at 3:21 pm
    (4) David says:

Can anyone tell me how the District is treating federal holidays now that they have introduced Saturday parking enforcement? I cannot find this addressed ANYWHERE. Please help.

January 22, 2011 at 7:47 am
    (5) Steve says:

Jerry B.: Be advised that even if you move your car every two hours, you still can be ticketed. The parking signs state 2 hours of parking in the ZONE not space.

August 15, 2011 at 9:44 am
    (6) Kate says:

20% fee for this parkmobile thing. And thanks for the No Refunds, it’s your responsibility if you get a ticket even though our meter broke on you- too bad. This city is terrible. And if Metro is broken, then even worse. I really don’t like DC.

November 6, 2011 at 11:07 am
    (7) KDalgleish says:

Visited my daughter yesterday at Catholic University, meter parking in front of their dorm on campus where kids always park on Saturday. Every car had a parking ticket, no warnings, apparently during the week DC slapped the sign on the meters for Saturday rates. How disgusting that DC has to take advantage of College Kids struggling as it is to make ends meet.

November 8, 2011 at 12:20 am
    (8) Dan says:

I don’t got to DC on Saturdays or Fridays anymore. I used to love going to downtown dc after 6:30 and parking and then going to clubs, restaurants ,etc. Now you get 7 minutes for a quarter, it is crazy. DC is only good for very rich people. I rather go to Maryland or Virginia. Free parking in Tyson Corners or Rockville (after 6 PM) much safer and no hassle like DC, and can go eat and enjoy myself with no fear of getting tickets.

November 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm
    (9) Betsy Ross says:

The last time we were there. We got a ticket; though we were told where to park and even though there were no signs, boom…ticket. The comment from the officer…”you should know better”. Yeah, we should know where you can and cannot park and know better to listen or trust anyone in that city. The Consensus is…”Take ticket” and “Pay us”. We have learned the best way to avoid it is just stay away from DC. This country is too big and there are better places to go.

December 2, 2011 at 9:23 am
    (10) Ted says:

Meter posted to 6:30 pm, ticket 7:10 pm.
    No ticket on the auto, sent notice by D.C. for delinquent ticket not worth fighting- BEWARE – DC doesn’t care.

August 4, 2012 at 8:15 am
    (11) Billiken Gerstenberg says:

And DC wants statehood? I don’t think so, not with these gestapo-like tactics. Yesterday I parked my car on 14th and G, walked to one of those machines where you’re supposed to buy the receipt to display in your dash. As I walked to it, a meter maid walked by me, smiled, waved, and while I’m standing in line to buy the receipt she proceeds to write a ticket for my car – while I’m standing right there. I had to go yell at her that I was STANDING RIGHT THERE TRYING TO PAY THE MACHINE, it was like trying to shoo away vultures from a dead carcass. And I paid for the time, up through 6:30 PM, which used to be all that was required on a Friday night, and which was all the machine allowed me – it automatically spit out the receipt at that point anyway. And I returned to my car at 6:40 PM to find a ticket on it anyway.