1. Local
Rachel Cooper

Washington DC Earthquake 2011

By August 23, 2011

Washington DC was shaken this afternoon by a magnitude 5.9 earthquake, the strongest to hit the area in a century. The epicenter of the quake was 87 miles southwest of Washington DC, near Mineral, Virginia. The quake was felt all around the region, and apparently all the way up the east coast and as far west as Ohio. No major damage has been reported as a result of the earthquake. I was driving to the store during the quake and didn't even feel it. Did you feel it where you are?

The Washington Monument suffered some minor damage during the earthquake. The National Park Service had structural engineers evaluate the cracks to determine the best way to repair the Monument. The Washington Monument is temporarily closed and will remain so until the repair is completed. The grounds have been reopened except for an area about 100 feet outside of the plaza.

What causes earthquakes? About.com's Geology Guide explains in his article Earthquakes in a Nutshell
Twitter | Facebook | Free newsletter

Comments

August 23, 2011 at 6:33 pm
(1) Tory says:

I was at work when I felt it. I was beginning to stand up and it hit just then. I felt like I was very dizzy, like something was wrong with my head because I just felt like everything around me was moving… I only noticed it wasn’t in my head when I saw the nailed up clipboards swaying back and forth and a coworker of mine came rushing out of her office right after it happened to get comfort that she wasn’t the only one who felt it.

August 23, 2011 at 6:41 pm
(2) Justin says:

I felt it… I live all the way up in Toronto Canada.

August 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm
(3) Marky says:

I was in a meeting (Baltimore) and the large screen we were all viewing just started shakin. Everyone looked at each other and said, did you feel that? After it was over, (30 seconds) we had no idea what happened, People were spooked and eventuallly we all left the building for the day. Your government at work. Very strange day!

August 24, 2011 at 10:18 am
(4) the supernatural says:

i was watching tv then i heard chipping then i took a step and i feel this shock then i realized

EARTHQUAKE

August 25, 2011 at 9:56 pm
(5) Just another smuck says:

Your typical government employes, anything to take the day off! No wonder this country is broke..Little tremor and everyone goes home! Get back to work and do something productive – pift – as if….I say fire all of you!

January 30, 2013 at 12:44 pm
(6) Romie says:

So scary my house started shaking