Oscar-viewing parties in Washington, DC roll out the red carpet with drinks specials and prizes. Here are some suggestions of lively places to watch the Oscars when they air on Sunday, February 24, 2013. Know of any others? Leave a comment below.
Sports Bars in the Washington, DC Area
- "Snuggle with the Stars" Sponsored by DC Shorts - 6:30 p.m. US Navy Memorial Burke Theater, 701 Pennsylvania Ave., NW Washington DC. The Oscar® viewing party is a pajama party that is officially associated with the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences. The event is sponsored by DC Shorts and will cap off a winning movie weekend with DC Shorts WINS!, a celebration of award-winning short films from previous DC Shorts Film Festivals. Watch the broadcast on a giant two-story HD screen while sipping soda and munching on gourmet snacks. Wearing pajamas is encouraged, but not required. Tickets are $50 and include open bar, buffet and swag bag.
- Art Soiree's Live Viewing Night of Oscars - Georgetown Ritz-Carlton, 3100 South Street NW, Washington, DC. Enjoy a true Hollywood Glamour experience with Red Carpet, Flash Lights, Cameras, Interviews, Live Broadcasting, Live Music, Live Entertainment, Specialty Themed Cocktails, Oscars Pool and watch a live telecast of the 85th Academy Awards on multiple screens. The evening will feature special live performance by St. Charles String Quartet playing songs from the Oscar nominated movies. Tickets: $30 Pre-Sale, $40 General. Event is 21+, Strictly Black Tie Attire, Red carpet, photo props, step and repeat, admission to Degrees lounge area, 5 tv screens, cash bar, and more.
- Helix Lounge - 1430 Rhode Island Ave, NW Washington DC (202) 462-9001. Helix Lounge is rolling out the red carpet on Academy Awards night with its annual Oscars Happy Hour featuring a lineup of award-worthy specials. Guests can watch red carpet glitz on the lounges two 46" flat-screen TVs, while enjoying specialty cocktails and burgers themed around this year's Oscar-nominated films. Available from 5 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Commissary DC - 1443 P Street NW Washington DC. Oscar Viewing Party, 5pm until midnight. Stroll onto the red carpet and sip on one of the "Academy Award" winning cocktails, inspired by the nominated films while munching on Commissary's famous Truffle Popcorn. Follow the show, with complimentary Oscar ballots, and your favorite stars, as the viewing party will begin with the red carpet and into the main event at 8. Prizes will be awarded for winning ballots.
- Arlington Cinema 'N' Drafthouse - 2903 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA (703) 486-2345. DC Film Society's Oscar Party, 6:30 p.m. Tickets: $20. Silent auction, contests, food and drinks.