See a guide to the top events going on this weekend in the Washington, DC area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia.
More Upcoming Washington, DC Events
May Festivals and Events in Washington DC
- Passport DC - Open Houses at Washington, DC Embassies - Throughout May. The multi-cultural event features a wide range of performances, talks, and exhibits at DC's foreign embassies. Around the World Embassy Tour is May 4, 2013.
- National Cathedral Flower Mart - May 3-4, 2013. Enjoy the grounds of the cathedral, floral displays, children's activities and musical entertainment. Free admission.
- Virginia Gold Cup - May 4, 2013. The Plains, VA. The annual steeplechase in Virginia horse country features horse races, Jack Russell Terrier races, tailgate competitions and more.
- DC Design House Tours - Through May 12, 2013. Washington, DC's premiere residential design showcase features a home decorated by the region's top interior designers. Tours are available and raise funds for Children's National Medical Center.
- Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival - April 26 - May 5, 2013, Winchester, VA. The annual celebration of spring showcases the blooming apple trees in the Shenandoah Valley with more than 45 events including the Coronation of Queen Shenandoah, the Grand Feature Parade, band competitions, dances, a carnival, a 10K run, Firefighters events and more.
- DC101 Chili Cook-off - May 4, 2013. RFK Stadium Grounds. Enjoy a full day of music while 101 chili cooks compete in four categories: Red Chili, Green Chili, Freestyle and Salsa.
- National Harbor Food & Wine Festival - May 4-5, 2013. Enjoy food and wine pairing, artisanal and organic products, lectures on culinary and wine trends and more.
- National Space Day - May 4, 2013. The National Air and Space Museum hosts a variety of activities to highlight scientific innovations and encourage students to consider careers in space exploration as they study math, science, engineering and technology.
- Cinco de Mayo Festival - May 5, 2013, noon-6 pm. The annual Latino celebration features live music and family entertainment on the National Mall.
- Washington Jewish Music Festival - Through May 11, 2013. Multiple venues. The Washington D.C. Jewish Community Center hosts a celebration of Jewish music from around the world, including Bluegrass, jazz, gospel, classical, a cappella, punk and show tunes.
- Yamas Greek Street Festival - May 4-5, 2013, 11am-11pm. Yamas Mediterranean Grill, 4806 Rugby Ave Bethesda MD. The event will feature live Greek traditional music, a moon bounce, face painting, kids arts and crafts, greek wine tasting, beer sampling, roast lamb specials, and more.
- Literary Hill BookFest - May 5, 2013, 11am-3pm. North Hall of Eastern Market. Washington DC. This free event will have a selection of over 30 local authors ready to sign, discuss, and read their works.
- Great Country Farms Laser Tag Championship - May 4-5, 2013. Bluemont, VA. The Laser field offers obstacles, hiding spots, and 'capture the cow' challenges that require skill and strategy. Prizes will be awarded to the individual with the best costume and winner of Last Man Standing.
- Glen Echo Park Family Day - May 4, 2013, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. A fun-filled event celebrates the opening of the Dentzel Carousel for its 93rd season with a full day of FREE activities, including magic shows, art activities, face painting, sing-alongs with Brooksie Wells, T-Ball Extreme, artist open studios, Irish Dancing, a Youth Art Exhibition, tours by the National Park Service rangers, and more.
- Solomons Maritime Festival - May 4, 2013. Calvert Marine Museum, Solomons, MD. The festival includes a variety of live music, Chesapeake Bay retriever demonstrations, water demonstrations, toy boat building, free cruises on the Wm. B. Tennison and much more.
- DC Big Flea - May 4-5, 2013. Dulles Expo Center, 4320 Chantilly Shopping Center, Chantilly, VA The largest antiques and collectible flea market in the Mid-Atlantic, including more than 600 booths. Find vintage clothing, jewelry, furniture, and collectibles.
- War of 1812 Bicentennial Events - May 3-5, 2013. Havre de Grace, MD will host reenactments, welcome Tall Ships, engage in a Military March, a 5K, and fireworks.
- LivingSocial's BeerFest - May 4-5, 2013. Fairgrounds Container Park, 1299 Half Street SE Washington, DC. Sample 100+ beers and wines from 56 breweries and several wineries, and DC's best food trucks will serve up tasty dishes that pair perfectly with the featured spirits (food sold separately).
Memorial Day Weekend in Washington DC