See a guide to the top events going on this weekend in the Washington, DC area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia. If you are looking for a different date, please visit my homepage at http://dc.about.com.
May Festivals and Events in Washington DC
Memorial Day Weekend in Washington DC
- Passport DC - Open Houses at Washington, DC Embassies - Throughout May. The multi-cultural event features a wide range of performances, talks, and exhibits at DC's foreign embassies. European Union Embassies' Open House is May 11, 2013.
- Mother's Day - May 12, 2013. Find ideas of ways to spend some family time with mom on Mother's Day in Washington, DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia.
- GI Film Festival - May 6-12, 2013. See classic and premier films celebrating the heroic stories of the American Armed Forces including a variety of films presented by award-winning Hollywood actors and directors.
- Georgetown Garden Tour - May 11, 2013, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Take a walking tour of eight private gardens in Georgetown.
- National Train Day - May 11, 2013. Union Station, Washington DC. Enjoy train focused festivities including live entertainment, interactive and educational exhibits, kids' activities, model trains and more.
- DC Design House Tours - Through May 12, 2013. Washington, DC's premiere residential design showcase features a home decorated by the region's top interior designers. Tours are available and raise funds for Children's National Medical Center.
- Bethesda Fine Arts Festival - May 11-12, 2013. See the works of 140 contemporary artists and enjoy live entertainment, children's activities and downtown Bethesda restaurants.
- Annapolis Wine Expo - May 11, 2013. Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, Annapolis, Maryland. The event features wine and food tastings.
- National Police Week - May 12-18, 2013. The annual event honors the service of U.S. law enforcement officials. A candlelight vigil and memorial service are open to the public.
- International Soul Society Festival - May 6- 12, 2013. Various Locations. The week-long series of events bringing together artists from around the globe, covering the full spectrum of urban arts -- from dance battles and workshops to MC showcases to DJ battles to graffiti exposition.
- Susan G. Komen National Race for the Cure - May 11, 2013 - Washington, DC. The 5K event raises funds for breast health and breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs for the medically underserved. See the schedule of more upcoming charity walks in DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia.
- DC South Asian Film Festival - May 10-12, 2013. The Festival will showcase independent films from the South Asian region (from countries like India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh- all under one roof).
- Fiesta Asia Planet Family - May 12, 2012, 1-3 p.m. National Zoo, Lion Tiger Hill Stage. As part of National Asian Heritage Month, enjoy an afternoon of family time featuring cultural performances by children of all ages and interactive activities for the whole family.
- Grand Opening of National Harbor Carousel - May 10-12, 2013. National Harbor, MD. Special entertainment and activities will be held along the new waterfront play area for kids.
- Heritage India Festival - May 11-12, 2013. Dulles Expo Center, Chantilly, VA. Enjoy shopping, entertainment and food from South Asia in one central location. The event will also feature a live stage with tons of entertainment including fashion shows, beauty pageants, dance competitions and local talent performances.
- International Migratory Bird Day - May 11, 2013. Rock Creek Park, Washington DC. Enjoy guided bird walks, live bird programs, children's activities, performances by local schools, Latin dance and musical groups.
- Washington Jewish Music Festival - Through May 11, 2013. Multiple venues. The Washington D.C. Jewish Community Center hosts a celebration of Jewish music from around the world, including Bluegrass, jazz, gospel, classical, a cappella, punk and show tunes.