See a guide to the top events going on this weekend in the Washington, DC area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia. If you are looking for a different weekend, please visit my homepage at dc.about.com.
May Festivals and Events in Washington DC
Memorial Day Weekend in Washington DC
- National Asian Heritage Festival - May 18, 2013. Washington, DC. Celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month with an Asian street fair including live entertainment and interactive displays.
- DC Dragon Boat Festival - May 18-19, 2013. Thompson's Boathouse Center, Washington DC. The event features dragon boat races on the Potomac River, cultural performances and hands-on activities.
- Passport DC - Throughout May. The multi-cultural event features a wide range of performances, talks, and exhibits at DC's foreign embassies.
- Northern Virginia Fine Arts Festival - May 17-19, 2013. Reston Town Center, Reston, VA. See artwork by more than 200 painters, sculptors, fine-crafters and jewelers. Also enjoy musical performances, festive foods, beer garden, and artist demonstrations.
- Gaithersburg Book Festival -
May 18, 2013, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Gaithersburg, MD. The annual festival features 100 best-selling and award-winning authors, panel discussions, book signings, interactive writing workshops, a Children's Village, musical entertainment and more.
- Taste of Arlington - May 19, 2013, noon-5 pm. Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA. Enjoy a lively street festival, complete with local entertainment, children's activities and, of course, lots of food!
- Marine Corps Historic Half, 10K and & Semper Fred 5K - May 19, 2013. Fredericksburg, VA. The 13.1 mile Historic Half course runs from the retail hub of Central Park through Fredericksburg's historic downtown with impressive landmarks and beautiful scenery.
- Mount Vernon Wine Festival & Sunset Tour - May 17-19, 2013. George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate, Mount Vernon, VA. Enjoy an elegant evening of wine, live entertainment, reenactments, and tours of the rarely open cellar vaults.
- Maryland Craft Beer Festival - May 18, 2013. Frederick Fairgrounds, Frederick, MD. More than 15 breweries present over 80 different brews. This family-friendly festival features live music by popular regional artists, kids' activities, exhibitors and a variety of food.
- National Police Week - Through May 18, 2013. The annual event honors the service of U.S. law enforcement officials. A candlelight vigil and memorial service are open to the public.
- DC Rollergirls Doubleheader - May 18, 2013. DC Armory. The event closes out the 2013 season with a championship doubleheader featuring the Cherry Blossom Bombshells vs. Scare Force One and the Majority Whips vs. the DC DemonCats.
- DC Shorts Laughs - May 17- 18, 2013. U.S. Navy Memorial Heritage Center, 701 Pennsylvania Ave., NW; Washington, DC. The event will feature several of DC Shorts' top comedies from previous festivals along with local comedians who will perform stand-up between the films.
- DoukÚnie Winery Greek Festival - May 18, 013. Purcellville, VA. The annual event celebrates the Greek heritage of the winery, bringing a day full of fun, laughter, education, entertainment, and authentic Greek food to this beautiful destination.
- Bluebell Music Festival - May 18, 2013. Centreville, VA. The Winery at Bull Run hosts the festival withlive jazz, blues, rock and Top 40 music; Civil War Re-enactors, Farmer's Market, delicious food from Amphora Catering (Greek) & Bad to the Bone (BBQ); and wine.
- Civil War 150th Concert at Fort Ward Park - May 18, 2013, 7 p.m. Alexandria, VA. Celebrate Armed Forces Day and get in the spirit of the Civil War 150th anniversary by enjoying a concert featuring the Federal City Brass Band, a notable Civil War band that performs in authentic dress and plays original brass instruments of the period.