See a guide to the top events going on this weekend in the Washington, DC area, including Maryland and Northern Virginia.
December Festivals and Events in Washington DC
- The National Christmas Tree and the Pageant of Peace - Lighting ceremony - December 6, 2013, 4:30 p.m. Ellipse near the White House. Visit the National Christmas Tree and listen to musical groups through Jan. 1.
- Alexandria Holiday Boat Parade of Lights -December 7, 2013. See dozens of festively decorated boats light up the sky along the Potomac River.
- Scottish Christmas Walk Weekend
December 6-7, 2013. The holiday parade and family-friendly activities are a traditional favorite of the Alexandria community.
- National Harbor Holiday Festival - December 6-8, 2013. National Harbor, Maryland. The festival will include crafts and gifts, live entertainment, food and wine, kids activities, and more.
- Logan Circle Holiday House Tour - December 8, 2013. Get an inside view of a variety of homes in the historic neighborhood.
- Smithsonian Holiday Festival - December 7-8, 2013. National Museum of American History, 14th Street and Constitution Ave., NW Washington DC. Celebrate the season with musical performances, films, book signings, trunk shows, crafts for kids and more.
- Washington DC Area Christmas Light Displays - Through early January. Celebrate the holiday season with a drive or a stroll through one of the Washington, DC area's spectacle of lights at a local park or along the water in Washington, DC, Maryland or Virginia.
- Charles County Christmas Tour - December 6-8, 2013. Kick off the Christmas season and explore ten historic sites in Charles County, MD. Get in the spirit of the season as you enjoy festive decorations and learn about the history of Southern Maryland.
- Candlelight Tours in the Washington, DC Area - Various dates. Enjoy the festive holiday decor of historic homes by candlelight tour, complete with seasonal music, storytelling and holiday treats.
- Holiday Shows in Washington DC -
See the schedule of live theatrical holiday performances in the DC area.
- ICE! - Christmas at the Gaylord National Resort - Through January 5, 2014. The award-winning holiday attraction kicks off this weekend. The winter wonderland is created entirely of 5,000 BLOCKS of ice weighing 1.5 MILLION POUNDS hand-sculpted by 40 international artisans and kept at a chilling nine degrees Fahrenheit. Visit the attraction early and avoid the crowds!
- Holiday Craft Shows in the Washington DC Area - Through December. Arts and craft shows are wonderful places to shop for unique gifts for the holidays. Check out the Fairfax Holiday Craft Show this weekend. Mark your calendar for more events throughout the season.
- Holiday Concerts in Washington, DC Various dates. Find a schedule of holiday concerts of Christmas classics, Hanukkah songs and much more.
- Downtown DC Holiday Market - Through December 23, 2013. Sidewalk on F Street between 7th and 9th in front of the National Portrait Gallery. Enjoy a unique seasonal shopping marketplace of downtown Washington DC including gift items by more than 180 exhibitors.
- Bethesda's Winter Wonderland -
December 6-7, 2013. See a variety of entertainment and performances, a live ice sculpting presentation and a visit from Santa Claus.
- Antietam Illumination - December 7, 2013. Sharpsburg, MD. Take a free driving tour along the national battlefield and see 23,110 luminaries lit in honor of those killed, wounded or missing during the Battle of Antietam.
- Middleburg Hunt and Christmas Parade - December 7, 2013. Middleburg, VA. Enjoy a unique holiday event in Virginia's horse country.
- Manassas Christmas Parade -
December 7, 2013. Old Town Manassas, VA celebrates the holiday season with a parade including floats, local celebrities, live performances, marching bands, animated characters, giant balloons and more.
- Pearl Harbor Day - December 7, 2013. Wreath-laying ceremony at the Navy Memorial, 701 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC at 1 p.m.