The following Smithsonian museums are located off the Mall in Washington, DC.
See A Guide to the Smithsonian Museums on the Mall on Page 1
- National Zoo - Rock Creek Park, Washington, DC. The National Zoo is a part of the Smithsonian Institution with more than 435 different species of animals. Open year round, the world-class property offers the opportunity to view and learn about favorites including giant pandas, elephants, tigers, cheetahs, sea lions and many more. The Smithsonian Biology Conservation Institute, the Zoo's conservation and research center, located in Front Royal, Virginia, is a breeding preserve for rare and endangered species.
- Smithsonian Anacostia Community Museum - 1901 Fort Place SE, Washington, DC. This small museum focuses on African American culture. Exhibits rotate and feature regional and national topics.
- Smithsonian National Postal Museum - 2 Massachusetts Ave. NE, Washington, DC. The museum displays the largest stamp collection in the world and examines the development of the postal system using interactive displays. This museum is located under Washington's old Main Post Office near Union Station.
- Smithsonian Renwick Gallery - 70 9th St. NW, Washington, DC. The building was the original site of the Corcoran Gallery and is furnished with American crafts and contemporary arts from the 19th to 21st centuries. The museum features unique works of art in an impressive setting across the street from the White House.
- National Portrait Gallery and the Smithsonian American Art Museum - 8th and F Streets NW., Washington, DC. This restored historic building in the Penn Quarter neighborhood of downtown Washington, DC, houses two museums in one building. The National Portrait Gallery presents six permanent exhibitions of nearly 20,000 works ranges from paintings and sculpture to photographs and drawings. The Smithsonian American Art Museum is the home of the largest collection of American art in the world including more than 41,000 artworks, spanning more than three centuries.
- Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center -
14390 Air & Space Museum Pkwy, Chantilly, VA. The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum opened a companion facility on the property of Washington Dulles International Airport to showcase additional aircraft, spacecraft and other artifacts. The museum has an IMAX Theater, flight simulators, a museum store, guided tours and educational programs.