See photos of Wintergreen, Virginia
Location: Wintergreen Resort is located in Nelson County, Virginia off of Rt. 664. It is approximately 160 miles (3 hours) southwest of Washington DC and 45 miles southwest of Charlottesville, Virginia. The resort is situated above the ski trails and boasts spectacular mountain views.
Wintergreen Ski Resort Highlights
- Trails: 26
- Lifts: 5 chairlifts, including two high-speed, six-passenger chairlifts
- Vertical Drop: 1000 feet
- Night skiing on 14 slopes
- Terrain park – snow features, jibs and rails
- The Plunge – the ten-lane hill is open year-round with snow tubing and summer tubing
- The Zip – a 900 foot zipline
- Discovery Ridge Adventure Center – paintball, a bungee trampoline, inflatable playground, pool table, air hockey and interactive games
Outdoor Recreation – Spring, Summer and Fall
- Golf - Wintergreen is home to two championship golf courses: The mountaintop Devils Knob Golf Course is ranked as one of Virginia's best courses with panoramic views and comfortable summer temperatures. In the Rockfish Valley, Stoney Creek Golf Course is a beautiful and challenging course that is open year-round.
- Swimming, boating, and fishing - Lake Monocan Park, a 20-acre lake and park, is open daily Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day and weekends in the spring and fall. Amenities include a snack bar, picnic area, boat and bike rentals, fishing equipment, horseshoe pits, sand volleyball court, sandy beach, and lounge chairs.
- Tennis - Devils Knob & Stoney Creek Tennis Facilities are ranked among the top tennis destinations in the nation. With 19 clay courts and 3 indoor deco-turf courts, Wintergreen offers a prime location to enjoy a tennis getaway.
- Hiking - There are 30 miles of marked hiking paths (some joining the Appalachian Trail). Guided hikes with a naturalist are offered on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
AccommodationsWintergreen Resort offers a wide range of accommodations. The Mountain Inn features hotel-style suites, located at the mountain village within steps of the restaurants and shopping. The condominiums and private homes are spread out throughout the mountain resort offering privacy and scenic views. The facilities are modern and comfortable. Most visitors make their reservations through the Wintergreen's official resort rental program, however some properties are advertised or rented through private owners or real estate brokers.
Additional Attractions Near Wintergreen ResortThe Wintergreen Nature Foundation - the Nature Foundation established the hiking trails throughout the resort. They have an extensive selection of trail maps available. There are nature exhibits, children’s activities, educational programs and naturalist guided programs.
Wintergarden Spa - a full service spa, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, hot tubs, exercise facilities and fitness classes.
Wintergreen Performing Arts - a non-profit organization that produces a summer music festival as well as other performing arts programs throughout the year.
Wintergreen Winery – The family owned winery creates handcrafted, award-winning vintages.
Devils Backbone Brewing Company - brewery and full service restaurant.
Wild Wolf Brewing Company - brewery, restaurant, sports bar, and shopping village.