The Christmas holiday season is a great time to visit Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The historic town, known for its three-day battle in 1863, is a year-round destination with a wide range of attractions and a variety of special events throughout the holiday season. Stay in one of Gettysburg's cozy bed and breakfasts, enjoy a weekend of shopping or just enjoy a walk through the downtown district taking in the charm of the historic town.
The holiday season kicks off just after Thanksgiving with the Annual Gettysburg Christmas Parade and continues for four weeks with concerts, open houses, special holiday displays and great decorations throughout the town. Get into the holiday spirit with live perormances at the historic Majestic Theater or for an active diversion, head to Liberty Mountain Resort in nearby Carroll Valley, Pa and enjoy a day of skiing, snowboarding or snow tubing. Two miles south of Gettysburg are the Outlet Shoppes at Gettysburg, where you'll find more than 70 stores for holiday shopping.
For information about Gettysburg attractions, tours and travel planning, see A Visitors Guide to Gettysburg, PA.
2013 Holiday Events in Gettysburg
- Nov. 23, 10 a.m. - Breakfast with Santa - The Outlet Shoppes at Gettysburg. Join the fun and enjoy a free breakfast with a real-bearded Santa and other children’s activities. The event is open to children 12 and under.
- Nov. 30, 7 p.m. - Home for the Holidays - Gettysburg Community Theatre - Hear some of Gettysburg’s finest vocalists as they perform their holiday favorites.
- Saturdays Nov. 30-Dec. 21 - Candlelight Christmas Tours at the Shriver House - Experience a Candlelight Christmas Tour of the museum and hear how the Battle of Gettysburg and the Civil War changed the Shriver family’s lives forever. Reservations required.
- Dec. 1 - 31 - An Eisenhower Christmas - Celebrate Christmas at the Eisenhower National Historic Site and see the family’s home decorated as it was during their presidential years in the 1950s.
Saturdays & Sundays, Dec. 6 - 29, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. - Jennie Wade House Museum Holiday Open House - Tour the Jennie Wade House decorated for the holidays, listen to traditional Christmas music and enjoy light refreshments. House will be open everyday, December 27-29.
Dec. 6 - Holiday Wreaths at Soldiers’ National Cemetery - Assembly 8 a.m.; Wreath Laying 1 p.m. Five hundred holiday wreaths will be placed on graves in the Soldiers’ National Cemetery at Gettysburg National Military Park as part of the Sgt. Mac Foundation’s ongoing effort to honor veterans.
Dec. 6, 7:30 p.m. - Rocky Mountain Christmas- A John Denver Tribute - Majestic Theater - Enjoy a blend of traditional Christmas music along with some of your favorite John Denver songs of the season. Featuring Chris Collins and Boulder Canyon along with special guest appearances by members of the Gettysburg Area School District’s music program.
- Dec. 6-7 - Gingerbread Celebration & Holiday Mart - Gettysburg Campus HACC - See an exhibit of gingerbread houses and gingerbread men made by area residents and businesses.
- Dec. 6-8 & 13-15 - A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens - Gettysburg Community Theatre. Rekindle your holiday spirit with this classic Christmas story.
- Dec. 7, 7 p.m. - Old Getty Place Christmas Parade and Tree Lighting - Downtown Gettysburg. The highlight of the season includes the annual parade, tree lighting in Lincoln Square, and Christmas carol sing-along.
- Dec. 13, 7 p.m. - Annual Gettysburg Tuba Carol Fest – Enjoy a concert of Christmas Carols on "historic" Lincoln Square.
- Dec. 14 - Gettysburg Holiday and Historic Homes & Inns Tour - The tour will include 12 properties located in and around the town of Gettysburg that were witness to the events of July 1863.
- Dec. 31 - New Year's Eve Celebration – Celebrate with a spectacular fireworks display over Lincoln Square, overlooking some of the most historic buildings in America.