As part of Christmas on the Potomac, the Gaylord National Resort’s ICE! is a special holiday event in the Washington DC area you won't want to miss! This holiday season, Gaylord National Resort’s smash-hit holiday attraction returns with a brand-new theme. The theme for the 2014 edition of Gaylord National’s ICE! will be Frosty the Snowman featuring favorite scenes of the magical TV special including: Frosty coming to life; marching through the Town Square; taking a train to the North Pole; and Santa coming to the rescue to make “melted Frosty” whole again.
Dates: November 14, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
What is Gaylord National’s ICE!?At the Gaylord National Resort at National Harbor, visitors step inside a winter wonderland created entirely of 5,000 BLOCKS of ice weighing 2 MILLION POUNDS! hand-sculpted by 40 international artisans and kept at a chilling nine degrees Fahrenheit. Produced exclusively for Gaylord Hotels, the attraction is fully interactive, allowing guests to roam inside, around and on-top of holiday scenes. See Photos of ICE! at the Gaylord National Resort
The indoor, walk-through attraction is housed in an enormous 15,000 square feet structure that is specially constructed and thickly insulated to help maintain its internal temperature of nine degrees. To stay comfortable inside, guests are loaned oversized winter coats to wear. It gets pretty chilly, so be sure to bring a hat and a pair of gloves.
History & ArtistryThe master artisans who created Gaylord National’s ICE! are from Harbin, China - a city in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province that is world-famous for its annual Harbin International Snow and Ice Festival. Every winter, more than 2,000 sculpture artists carve a massive, 100-acre walk-through Ice Park and a full-size Ice City from blocks of ice taken from the nearby Songhua River. Gaylord National Resort brought 40 of Harbin's most talented master artisans to the U.S. to showcase their amazing talents in creating this one-of-a-kind attraction. They arrived in mid-October, staying onsite for more than 30 days, to build and hand-carve the attraction in time for its debut.
Hours: Open daily, hours vary
Tickets: Adults (ages 12+) starting at $27, Kids (ages 3-11) starting at $20, ages 2 and under are free. Discounted tickets for group of 20 or more are available.
Walk-up ticket sales will be available during the attraction's regular operating hours, however, visitors are encouraged to purchase tickets online (in advance) as many days are expected to sell out. Visit www.gaylordnationaltickets.com or call (301) 965-4000.
Location: Adjacent to the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center at National Harbor. Onsite parking is available at the Gaylord Self-Parking Garage for a special rate of $10 (up to 3 hours).
See a map and directions.
Free Nightly Entertainment at the Gaylord National Resort
- Tree of Light – the centerpiece in the Gaylord’s Atrium is a tree made entirely of synthetic “candy” glass! This “must-see” is 60-feet tall, weighs 7,000 pounds and is suspended from the center of our atrium. By day, it looks like a spectacular stained glass window. At night, it glows brilliantly and creates a festive mood.
- Tree Lighting Show - Every evening, the atrium comes to life with a Tree Lighting Show and Indoor Snowfall. The 15-minute show will feature Christmas music, a light show, and a dancing fountain that shoots 60-feet high.
- Brightest Star Fountain Show – Hear a heartwarming narration of the classic Christmas story and watch as choreographed water “dances” to the music. The show also features whimsical lighting.
Additional Seasonal Activities
- Gingy’s Gingerbread Decorating - Decorate a gingerbread family, gingerbread Christmas tree or gingerbread house, as well as meet Gingy for a heart-warming hug. Decorating kits start at $35.95+. Offered daily.
- Brunch with Santa - Enjoy a menu of traditional brunch favorites served family style with spectacular views of the city from atop the hotel’s 18th floor. Available December 8, 15 and 22 for $56+ for adults ages 12 and older, $28+ for children ages 3 to 11, and free for kids ages 2 and younger.
- DreamWorks’ Madagascar Crack’ A Lackin’ Cook-in Character Breakfast - Join King Julien, Alex the Lion and their friends at a feast fit for the King of the Jungle. The breakfast buffet menu features Madagascar-themed items and desserts such as the Flingin’ Chimps Chocolate Fountain. Available Saturdays, Sundays and on select dates for $29.95+ for adults ages 13 and older, $19.95+ for children ages 3 to 12, and free for kids 2 and younger.
- Gourmet Holiday Cake Pop Experience - Enjoy a breakfast buffet, followed by a 90-minute cake pop-making demonstration at the hotel’s show kitchen. Available Saturdays, Sundays and on select dates in December for $49+ for adults ages 13 and older, $39+for children ages 3 to 12 and free for kids ages 2 and younger.
- Peeps Potomac Express Train Rides - Kids can take a ride on a winter themed miniature train for $3 per ride, or $5 for three rides.
- Photos with Santa Claus - Meet Santa, have your photo taken and receive a special keepsake photo starting at $22+ until December 24.
- DreamWorks Themed Scavenger Hunt - Search throughout the indoor gardens on this fun, interactive scavenger hunt (self-guided). $9.95 per Scavenger Hunt book.