The GI Film Festival presents both classic and premier films celebrating the heroic stories of the American Armed Forces and the worldwide struggle for freedom and liberty. This unique film festival will be held in Washington, DC just before the Memorial Day weekend to honor the courage and selflessness of American troops. The GI Film Festival includes dozens of film screenings and presentations by award-winning Hollywood actors and directors and panel discussions with soldiers, journalists, authors, and filmmakers.
2014 film premiere and screening highlights include: the World Premiere of the Civil War narrative feature Field of Lost Shoes, an advanced screening of the Sony/Affirm Films feature When the Game Stands Tall, the big screen premiere of the documentary The First Motion Picture Unit: When Hollywood Went to War, and the East Coast Premiere of the dramatic feature Fort Bliss. This year's program also brings attention to issues facing returning GIs on the home-front including: post-traumatic stress, family issues and unemployment.
Dates: May19-25, 2014
VIP All-Access Pass: $245, Experience everything GIFF has to offer in VIP style! This pass includes all public screenings, events, and receptions including the Opening Night Gala, Congressional Reception, International Night, Wounded Warrior Appreciation Night, Filmmaker Bootcamp, and much more.
Weekend-Warrior Pass: $70, Coming to GIFF just for the weekend films and festivities? See as many films as your weekend can handle, attend our Saturday evening special event and the Best of Film Awards with our Weekend Film Pass. For only $70, you’ll enjoy the lion's share of festival films and events from Saturday May 24 to Sunday, May 25.
Single Issue Tickets: Range from $12 for matinee screenings to $50 for prime-time screenings with admission to after parties. Active duty military discounts available.
Film Screening Venues
Old Town Theatre - 815 King St. Alexandria, VA
Torpedo Factory - 105 N Union St, Alexandria, VA
Canadian Embassy - 501 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC
Cinemark Theatres - 11900 Palace Way, Fairfax, VA
Main Events of the GI Film Festival
- Monday, May 19 - 6:30-9:30 p.m. Opening Night and World Premiere of Field of Lost Shoes, Old Town Theatre, Alexandria, VA, Screening: Field of Lost Shoes, Scheduled guest: David Arquette, 9:45 p.m. – Midnight GI Film Festival Launch/After Party, Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA
- Tuesday May 20 - 5:30-10 p.m. GI Hero Awards Congressional Reception – Invitation and VIP Pass Holders Only. Venue and attendees undisclosed. Screening: Bridging the Gap, Scheduled guest: Senator Joe Manchin, Rep. Chris Gibson, Rep. Tammy Duckworth, Army Vice Chief of Staff GEN John Campbell
- Wednesday, May 21 - 6:30-8:30 p.m. International Warrior Night – Invitation and VIP Pass Holders Only, Canadian Embassy, Washington, DC, Screenings: Last Call, Menschen, Sister in Arms, Relentless, Détente, The Hole, The Wound and Civvy Street.
- Thursday, May 22 - 7-10 p.m. Wounded Warrior Appreciation Night – Invitation and VIP Pass Holders Only. Cinemark Theatres, Fairfax, VA, Screening: When the Game Stands Tall, 9 p.m. After Party, 4100 Monument Corner Dr., Fairfax, VA
- Friday, May 23 - 9-5:30 p.m. GIFF Finance and Distribution Filmmaker Boot Camp, Old Town Theatre, Alexandria, VA, Hollywood producers, directors and financiers teach the business side of filmmaking, 6:30-10 p.m. Salute to Hollywood Patriots, Old Town Theatre, Alexandria, VA, Screening: The First Motion Picture Unit: When Hollywood Went to War and Travis, Special Guests: Army Chief of Staff GEN Raymond T. Odierno, Gary Sinise, Travis Mills, and the late James Gandolfini’s family.10:00 p.m. After Party, The George Washington Masonic Temple, 101 Callahan Dr., Alexandria, VA
- Saturday, May 24 - 9:45 a.m.-5:30 p.m. GIFF Premieres and Screenings, Old Town Theatre, Alexandria, VA, 6:30 p.m.GIFF Films, Awards and Special Tributes to Adam Driver and the film Lone Survivor, Screening: Knee Deep Sailor, Barstool Kinda Night, Forgotten Flag Raisers, Scheduled guest: Adam Driver, 9 p.m. After Party, United States Patent and Trademark Office Museum, 600 Dulany St, Alexandria, VA
- Sunday, May 25 - 10 a.m. GIFF Premieres and Screenings, Old Town Theatre, Alexandria, VA. 7 p.m. East Coast Premiere of Fort Bliss, Old Town Theatre, Alexandria, VA, Scheduled guests: stars Michelle Monaghan and Ron Livingston.
Official Website: www.gifilmfestival.com