Dates: January 18-27, 2013
Tips for Getting the Most out of Alexandria Restaurant Week
- Make reservations early, many of the most popular restaurants get booked up.
- Read menus and reviews. Restaurant Week is a good deal at the priciest restaurants. Some restaurants offer pre-fixed menus all the time, so specials during this week may not offer as big a savings.
- When you make your reservation, confirm pricing and that the restaurant is participating in Restaurant Week.
- Share your experience. Submit a Restaurant Review.
Presidential HotspotsIn January 2013, Alexandria is offering a special edition of Restaurant Week that is running during the inaugural weekend and featuring specials at the city’s presidential hotspots. Alexandria’s presidential culinary connections include:
Barack Obama and the First Family
- Del Ray Pizzeria – Featuring presidential pies enjoyed by President Barack Obama.
- The Majestic – Chef Shannon Overmiller presents selections from the First Family’s menu for Michelle’s mother’s birthday, including a classic Caesar salad, fried oysters, fried green tomatoes, and the Majestic’s signature meatloaf.
- Union Street Public House – Sample trout and gumbo at this eatery visited by Michelle and Malia Obama.
- The Grille at Morrison House – Piano bar features Bob Smith, the White House pianist who performed for every president from Nixon through Clinton. Performances Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Throughout the week, Chef Brian McPherson presents fresh seasonal selections including a pumpkin soup with duck confit and an olive oil poached Scottish salmon.
- Ireland’s Own (formerly Pat Troy’s Ireland’s Own) – Surprise visit by Ronald Reagan on St. Patrick’s Day 1988. The restaurant features photos of Reagan, the original table where he dined, and a bust of the president.
- Jackson 20 – Laura Bush dined here during her husband’s presidency. This tavern was named for President Andrew Jackson and his visage on the $20 bill.
- Gadsby’s Tavern Restaurant – Favorite of George Washington and hosted all of the first five U.S. presidents. Restaurant Week menu includes an apple wood-smoked pork chop, seared chicken with nutmeg and sage cream, and a honey cake with cinnamon glaze.
- Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant – Adjacent to George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate.
Participating RestaurantsBastille - 1201 N. Royal Street, Alexandria (703) 519-3776
Bilbo Baggins Restaurant - 208 Queen Street, Alexandria (703) 638-0300
Caprese - 1900 Diagonal Road, Alexandria (703) 838-9602
Carlyle Club - 411 John Carlyle Street, Alexandria (703) 548-8899
Chart House - One Cameron Street, Alexandria (703) 684-5080
Columbia Firehouse - 109 S. St. Asaph Street, Alexandria (703) 683-1776
Daniel O'Connell's Restaurant & Pub - 112 King Street, Alexandria (703) 739-1124
Gadsby's Tavern - 138 N. Royal St., Alexandria (703) 548-1288
Geranio Ristorante - 722 King Street, Alexandria (703) 548-0088
GRAPE + BEAN Wine Bar - 118 S. Royal Street, Alexandria (703) 664-0214
The Grille at Morrison House - 116 S. Alfred Street, Alexandria (703) 838-8000
Jackson 20 - 480 King Street, Alexandria (703) 842-2790
La Bergerie - 218 N. Lee Street, Alexandria (703) 683-1007
La Tasca - 607 King Street, Alexandria (703) 299-9810
Laporta's Restaurant - 1600 Duke Street, Alexandria (703) 683-6313
The Light Horse - 715 King Street, Alexandria (703) 549-0533
Majestic and Virtue Feed & Grain - 106 S. Union St., Alexandria (571) 970-3669
The Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant - 3200 George Washington Memorial Pkwy. Mount Vernon (703) 780-0011
Phillips Flagship - 900 Water Street SW Washington, DC (202) 488-8515
Ramparts - 1700 Fern St., Alexandria (703) 998-6616
RT's Restaurant - 3804 Mount Vernon Avenue Alexandria (703) 684-6010
Tempo Restaurant - 4231 Duke Street, Alexandria (703) 370-7900
Theismann's Restaurant & Bar - 1800 Diagonal Road Alexandria. (703) 739-0777
Trademark - 400 Courthouse Square Alexandria (703) 253-8640
Two Nineteen Restaurant - 219 King Street, Alexandria (703) 549-1141
Union Street Public House - 121 South Union Street Alexandria (703) 548-1785
The Warehouse Bar & Grill - 214 King Street, Alexandria (703) 683-6868
The Wharf - 119 King Street, Alexandria (703) 836-2836
See also, A Guide to Restaurant Weeks in DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia.