Washington, DC hosts several big events for Easter each year. Here is a guide to celebrating the holiday in the nation’s capital including the schedules and suggested venues for Easter brunch, Easter egg hunts, religious services and other special events.
Easter Brunch in Washington, DC
Many of the area’s finest restaurants offer an elegant Easter Brunch. Find recommendations in Washington, DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia.
White House Easter Egg Roll
April 21, 2014, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. The popular annual event is open to the public and celebrates the holiday with an Easter Egg hunt and visit with the Easter Bunny on the White House lawn.
Easter Egg Hunts
Dates vary. Special Easter events for children are held at a variety of venues around the region.
Sunrise Service at the Lincoln Memorial
April 20, 2014, 6:30 a.m. Thousands gather at the Lincoln Memorial for an inspiring Easter service.
African American Family Celebration at the National Zoo
April 21, 2014, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Each year on the Monday after Easter, the Zoo hosts this special event with an Easter egg roll/hunt, crafts, live entertainment, a food bazaar, and family-friendly fun.
Here is a list of some of the larger churches in downtown Washington, DC.
- Washington National Cathedral - Wisconsin & Massachusetts Avenues, NW Washington, DC (202) 537-6200.
- Basilica of the National Shrine - 400 Michigan Ave NE, Washington, DC (202) 526-8300.
- St. Mathews Cathedral -1725 Rhode Island Ave NW Washington, DC (202) 347-3215.
- St. John’s Church - 525 H Street NW, Washington DC (202) 347-8766.
- Church of the Epiphany - 1317 G St, NW Washington, DC (202) 347-2635.
- Georgetown Presbyterian Church - 3115 P Street, NW, Washington DC (202) 338-1644.
Shiloh Baptist Church - 1500 Ninth Street NW, Washington, DC (202) 232-4288.
Visiting Attractions on Easter Day
Many of Washington DC's attractions are open on Easter Day. However you choose to spend the day, it's always a good idea to call ahead before heading out. The following popular tourist destinations are open on Easter Sunday: