First Night Alexandria is a family oriented, non-alcohol New Year's Eve celebration held on December 31 at dozens of venues throughout historic Old Town Alexandria. This year's celebration will include more than 100 live performances at 22 venues, the Annual Fun Hunt, plus children’s entertainment and interactive games, and a spectacular midnight finale with fireworks over the Potomac River. The fireworks are back this year! Best viewing is anywhere along the Potomac River. The barge will be off shore at the end of King Street.
See Photos of First Night Alexandria
First Night Alexandria Schedule and TimesAnnual Fun Hunt and Free Activities: 2-5 p.m.
Live Performances throughout Old Town: 7-11:45 p.m.
Fireworks Finale: The finale will kick off at 10 p.m. with a performance by The Stairwells and DJ music will fill the streets for an outdoor dance party. Fireworks will be set off at midnight, along the Potomac River at the foot of King St.
- Dozens of museums, public buildings, and even retail shops are turned into performance venues to showcase regional and national talent.
- Activities for kids include face painting, moon bounce, balloon sculptures, interactive games, storytelling and sing-alongs.
- Dance the night away at the George Washington Masonic Memorial and the Torpedo Factory Art Center with a wide range of music.
- Start your New Year’s Eve fun in the afternoon with the Annual First Night Fun Hunt, a scavenger-style hunt that uses puzzles and clues to take teams to sites around Old Town. Everyone that completes the hunt clue sheet is eligible to win great prizes.
- Families can also take part in an expanded program of afternoon activities including fun tailored for adults and even dogs and cats! Whisker Wonderland activities at King Street Garden Park will entertain canines and kids. Adult-friendly happenings at Olio and the Paper Source join kid-friendly activities at the Sugar Cube, Ten Thousand Villages, and the Torpedo Factory Art Center.
First Night Admission:$15 before December 17; $20 after. Children 12 and under are free.
Admission badges may be purchased online. Badges can also be purchased in person at the Alexandria Visitors Center at Ramsay House, 221 King Street. On December 31, all First Night venues will have badges for sale beginning 15 minutes prior to the first performance. Admission badges will also be available beginning at noon on December 31 at the Durant Arts Center, 1605 Cameron Street.
Transportation to AlexandriaMetro Stations: King Street, Braddock Road, Eisenhower Avenue and Van Dorn
King Street Trolley: The trolley is free and is the best way to get from the King Street Metro Station to the Old Town Alexandria waterfront area. The trolley will operate until 1 a.m., and will make a continuous loop from the King St-Old Town Metro, to First Night headquarters at the Durant Arts Center (1605 Cameron Street), then to the George Washington Masonic Memorial (101 Callahan Drive) and back to the Metro.
DASH Bus Service: The Alexandria Transit Company provides bus service within the City of Alexandria, and connects with Metrobus, Metrorail, Virginia Railway Express, and all local bus systems.
- George Washington Masonic Memorial - 101 Callahan Dr. FREE
- Hilton Hotel Old Town - 1767 King St.
- King Street Metro Place - 100 Duke St.
- King Street Station - 1800 Diagonal Rd.
- US Patent and Trademark Office - 551 John Carlyle St.
- City Garage - 108 N. Fairfax St. only $3 after 5:00 p.m.
Hotels in Old Town AlexandriaEmbassy Suites Hotel
Residence Inn Marriott
Lorien Hotel and Spa
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites
Courtyard by Marriott
Comfort Inn Landmark
For more information about Alexandria, including restaurants, shopping, major attractions and things to do, see Alexandria, Virginia - A Neighborood Guide
Other First Nights in VirginiaLeesburg