The Funk Parade is a one-of-a-kind street fair, parade and music festival in the U Street neighborhood of Washington DC. The free event is new this year and is designed to bring people together through music, dance and the visual arts, while celebrating the musical heritage of the historic U Street district. The neighborhood will be enlivened throughout the day with live performances, artists and vendors, food, workshops and spontaneous acts of soul. The parade will include a variety of dancers, marching bands, drum corps, beat-boxers, junkyard drummers, pot-bangers and more. Several of the area’s most popular music venues will open their doors in the evening offering free, live and local funk-inspired bands immediately following the Funk Parade.
Date: Saturday May 3, 2014
Schedule and Locations
Street Fair - noon-5 p.m. Music, dance, dragon and lion dancers, art and workshops will be located along U Street from 9th to 16th St. NW.
Mighty Funk Parade (main event) - 5-7 p.m. The parade will begin at Vermont and U Sts. NW. Everyone is invited to participate, come ready to sing, dance, clap and have a great time.
Music Festival - 7-10 p.m. Free performances will be held at the venues listed below.
The U Street Metro Station is within walking distance to all of the events. See a map of the U Street Corridor
Music Festival Locations and Performances
- U Street Music Hall - 1115 U St NW Washington DC - Sugar Bear & EU, Nappy Riddem
- Tropicalia - 2001 14th St. NW Washington DC - Cheick Hamala Diabate, Backbeat Underground, Joe Keyes “The Late Bloomer” and The Late Bloomer Band
- Solly’s: Flashband Project - 1942 11th St. NW Washington DC - Flashband Funk Party
- DC9 Nightclub - 1942 11th St. NW Washington DC - Black Masala, Elikeh Afropop
- Patty Boom Boom - 1359 U St NW, Washington, DC - Lucky Dub, Kickoman - Official
- Liv Nightclub DC - 2001 11th St NW, Washington DC - Band to Be Announced
- Bohemian Caverns - 2001 11th St NW, Washington DC - Band to Be Announced
- The Brixton - 901 U St NW Washington DC - Aztec Sun, Beyond Modern
- Twins Jazz Club - 1344 U St NW Washington DC - Tony Martucci
- Jojo Restaurant and Bar - 1518 U St. NW Washington DC - The Good Thing
- Busboys and Poets - 2021 14th St NW Washington, DC - A Special Edition of Live! From Busboys: Women of Funk
- Ben’s Next Door - 1211 U St NW, Washington, DC - Band to Be Announced
- Dukem Restaurant - 1114-1118 U St NW Washington DC - Band to Be Announced
More About U Street