- Take a cruise along the Potomac River on the Odyssey or the Spirit of Washington. Enjoy an unforgettable New Year's Eve with an evening of dining and dancing while taking in skyline views of the nation’s capital.
- Take the whole family to a First Night event in Maryland or Virginia. Celebrate the New Year while enjoying local music and entertainment. See fireworks in Alexandria or Annapolis.
- Party the night away at a Hotel New Year’s Eve Party. These are some the region's liveliest parties, many with open bar and a wide variety of music and entertainment.
- Looking for a quiet, romantic New Year's Eve? Enjoy a nice meal at one of the Washington, DC area's top restaurants. Many of these restaurants offer special menus and entertainment. Most require advance reservations.
- Enjoy live music or theatre - attend a concert such as A Jazz New Year's Eve at the Kennedy Center, a burlesque-themed soiree at the recently reopened Howard Theatre or Drive-By Truckers, an alternative country rock band, at the 9:30 Club. See the schedule for a variety of live performances. Advanced tickets are required.
- Ring in the New Year while dancing the night away at one of Washington, DC’s nightclubs.
- Honor the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation. At the stroke of midnight, January 1, 1863, thousands of men, women and children celebrated as slaves were granted their freedom. Special commemorative events will be held around Washington DC on New Year's Eve. Enjoy living history programs, ranger talks and a guided walk on the National Mall. Visit the National Archives and take this rare opportunity to see the Original Emancipation Proclamation and take part in special historical programming or attend a "Freedoms Eve" celebration at President Lincoln’s Cottage (For tickets, email SMiraminy@savingplaces.org).
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve Around the World at Maryland Live! Casino. Dine on an award-winning menu. Rock out the night at an all-inclusive bash at Rams Head Center Stage. Celebrate the arrival of 2013 in different exotic locales with themed entertainment and prize drawings from Moscow to Athens, Paris, London, and a grand finale in New Orleans.
- Celebrate the New Year with comedian Adam Ferrara from Comedy Central, "Top Gear," "Rescue Me," "The Tonight Show" and ABC, NBC at the Improv Comedy Club.
- Watch the clock strike 12:00, ring in the New Year while gathering around a large screen TV at one of Washington DC’s sports bars. Enjoy a drink and some munchies while watching the ball drop in Times Square.
Washington, DC Hotel Specials for New Year’s Eve
New Year's Eve in Maryland
New Year's Eve in Northern Virginia