The Bottom Line
- Located just steps from The White House and Capitol Hill
- Contemporary elegance and innovative menu
- Great service
- Live jazz nightly
- Affordable fixed price menu for pre-theater
- Address: 701 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC. (East of 16th St.)
- Phone: (202) 393-0701
- Hours: Mon-Fri 11:30am-3pm; Mon-Thurs 5:30-10:30pm; Fri-Sat 5:30-11:30pm; Sun 5-9:30pm
- Prices: Lunch $9-$19; dinner $16-$34; pre-theater dinner (5:30-6:45pm) $27.95
- Reservations: Recommended
- Metro: Archives-Navy Memorial
- Parking: Valet available for $7
Guide Review - 701 Restaurant Review - Washington, DC
As a starter, highly recommended is the King Crab Summer Roll (avocado, orange, peanut, jalapeno). It is an interesting combination with just the right amount of seasoning. For the main dishes we enjoyed the Scottish Salmon (potato gnocchi, broccoli rabe, warm mushroom vinaigrette) and Sauteed Lamb Loin (potato puree, black mission fig, trevisiano). Both dishes were prepared perfectly. For dessert, try the Warm Chocolate Cake (vanilla bean ice cream, graham cracker tuile, chocolate sauce) or the Chocolate Peanut Pave (layers of chocolate souffle cake, peanut ganache, caramel mousse with peanut caramel chunks, milk chocolate malt ice cream) Both are excellent.
The large windows with panoramic views of Pennsylvania Ave. and the US Navy Memorial Plaza, make this a relaxing place to enjoy a meal and people watch. The decor was updated in August 2009 and includes a soothing color scheme of beige, brown and ivory combined with dark rich wood and neutral earth tones. An outdoor patio is available from April to October. Private dining accommodations can be made for parties of 8 up to 300.
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary meal for the purpose of the review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offering mentioned herein are subject to change without notice.
Reviewed August 2009 - Prices are subject to change