The Bottom Line
Art and Soul, owned by nationally renowned chef Art Smith, serves regional cuisine with a southern influence. The restaurant is conveniently located at the Liaison Capitol Hill
and offers great food in a nice atmosphere at reasonable prices.
- Award-winning nationally renowned chef
- Great southern cuisine, showcasing fresh local ingredients
- Contemporary decor and comfortable lounge
- Great location, just steps from the U.S. Capitol Building
- Limited parking in area - Valet parking is $16
- Address: Liaison Capitol Hill, 415 New Jersey Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
- Phone: (202) 638-1616
- Nearest Metro: Judiciary Square and Union Station.
- Hours: Breakfast, lunch and dinner, weekend brunch
- Prices: Breakfast $10-19, Lunch $13-18, Dinner $18-33
Guide Review - Art and Soul Restaurant Review - Washington DC
The menu at Art and Soul is a blend of southern cooking and regional cuisine, including appetizers such as Rappahannock River Oysters with pimento corn mignonette and Spice Rubbed Ahi Tuna with fried green tomatoes and sour pickle relish; Entrées like Blackened Scallops with sweet potato mash, sautéed chard, crispy ham, cane syrup reductio and Lamb Chops served with charred poached pears and a mint julep sauce. Side dishes include fried green tomatoes with remoulade, buttermilk mash, roasted seasonal vegetables, macaroni casserole, spicy greens. The house specialty includes a variety of hoecakes, cornmeal flatbreads that are traditional southern cuisine that originated when field workers cooked their food on a hot fire after a hard days work. We shared the House Cured Salmon and Caviar which was very tasty. We also shared the Arugula salad which was plenty for two. As a main dish I had the Rockfish chesapeake jambalaya, charred tomato sauce, crispy okra. It was a bit spicer than I expected though it was very good. The Bourbon Pecan pie was excellent.
The setting at Art and Soul includes intimate banquettes, 16-foot rolling glass walls and contemporary lighting. During the summer months, there is a large outdoor patio. ArtBar, the lobby's chic lounge, features a large selection of wines, specialty cocktails and light fare. The modern atmosphere is very comfortable and a great place to gather with friends.
Reviewed January 2010, Prices subject to change