The Bottom Line
Bastille is a quaint neighborhood restaurant in Alexandria, Virginia specializing in modern French cuisine. The menu offers an extensive variety of dishes and the portions are very generous. The food is excellent and the decor is simple and cozy. Outdoor patio dining is available in warm weather.
- Excellent and creative cuisine, nicely presented
- Large portions (surprisingly for French cuisine)
- Cozy, simple setting
- Nice location off the beaten track, in a residential neighborhood that is easy to get to
- Address: 1201 N. Royal Street - Alexandria, VA
- Phone: 703-519-3776
- Hours: Lunch 11:30am-2pm Mon-Fri, 12-2:30pm Sat, Brunch 11:30am-2:30pm Sun, Dinner 5:30-9pm Mon-Thurs, 5:30-10pm Fri-Sat, 5-9pm Sun
- Prices: Average dinner entree $26-28 - 3 courses $39, 4 courses $54.
- Parking: Bastille has a small parking lot and street parking available.
- Reservations: Recommended
Guide Review - Bastille Restaurant Review - Alexandria, VA
Bastille is a gem of a restaurant tucked away in a residential neighborhood in Alexandria, Virginia. Every dish that I tasted was outstanding. For starters we had the Baby Arugula salad, goat cheese pana cotta, cherries and almonds, balsamic vinaigrette and the Duo of Hudson Valley Foie gras: pan-seared fresh foie gras, chilled torchon. The ingredients were very fresh and the sauces were very tasty. For the main course I thoroughly enjoyed the Pan-roasted Local Sea scallops, French tarragon vinaigrette, Warm salad of potatoes, peas and spring onions. It was cooked just right and the seasoning was perfect. I also tasted the Pan-roasted Hudson Valley Farm Moullard duck breast, orange-Grand Marnier sauce Braised endives and escarole, candied kumquats. I would highly recommend this dish. For dessert, the Mille–Feuilles
Valrhona White chocolate crèmeux Raspberries, Pistachios just melts in your mouth. It was a huge portion and plenty for two to share.
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary meal for the purpose of the review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offering mentioned herein are subject to change without notice.
Reviewed May 2011 - Prices are subject to change