The Bottom Line
- Wide variety of fresh seafood dishes prepared with a Greek influence
- Nice atmosphere, spacious seating
- Extensive selection of Greek and international wines
- Dishes were slightly too salty
- Limited street parking nearby
- Address: 1700 K Street, NW Washington, D.C. 20006
- Phone: (202) KEL-LARI (202) 535-5274
- Hours: Mon-Sat 11:30am-11pm, Sun 11am-10pm, Sunday Brunch
- Prices: Lunch $14.95 to $32.95, Appetizers $7.95 to $18.95, Dinner $25.95 to $38.95
- Reservations: Recommended
- Closest Metro: Farragut North and Farragut West
Guide Review - Kellari Taverna Restaurant Review - Washington DC
As an appetizer, we shared the seafood mixed grill, a combination of calamari, octopus and shrimp. It was a large portion and could have easily served 4. The waiter was very knowledgeable about wines and recommended a wonderful red wine from Crete. For the main course we shared the Seafood Yiouvetsi- oven roasted orzo with shrimp, scallops, mussels and clams and the Paidakia- grilled lamb chops with olive oil and oregano roasted potatoes. Both were tasty and nice sized servings. For dessert, we especially enjoyed the Kellari sundae which was made with Nutella and just melted in your mouth.
The decor at Kellari Taverna is welcoming, incorporating antiqued white woodwork, hardwood floors and glass art accents. The dining areas are nicely separated with wine displays that offer privacy and good acoustics. The restaurant features a lounge and bar, a chef’s table, wine cellar and a signature fish display, which is the focal point of the restaurant. There is also a private dining room that can accommodate 60 guests.
Reviewed November 2009 - Prices Subject to Change.
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary meal for the purpose of the review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offering mentioned herein are subject to change without notice.