The Bottom Line
- Great sushi and Japanese fare
- Late night dining and lively gathering place
- Offers an extensive selection of sake and Japanese beers.
- Located in a transitioning neighborhood (Mount Vernon Square)
- Address: 465 K Street, NW Washington, DC 20001
- Phone: 202-682-3123
- Hours: Mon–Thurs 11–2am, Fri–Sat 11–3am, Sun 11am-Midnight
- Reservations: Accepted for parties of 6 or more.
- Prices: Sushi $4-10, Sashimi Sets $24-40.
Guide Review - Kushi Izakaya & Sushi Restaurant Review - Japanese Gastropub in Washington DC
Menus are designed to offer mid-sized plates which can be ordered throughout the meal and pair well with Kushi’s beer, shochu and sake selections. Dishes such as Heritage Breed Chicken with Plum Paste, American Wagyu Short Ribs and Miso Marinated Octopus are prepared directly in front of diners at the robata bar.
At the sushi bar, delicate, fresh fish such as sea urchin, fresh horse mackerel and toro are expertly crafted. Kushi’s fish is sourced locally, as well as flown in twice per week from the Tokyo fish market.
Kushi has a very casual and energetic setting. The decor is modern with vaulted ceilings, reclaimed wood bar tops, and large paper lanterns imported from Japan.