The Bottom Line
Marcel's is an elegant French Belgian restaurant with great food, atmosphere and service. Chef Robert Wiedmaier is known as one of Washington, DC's best chef's and applies his creative cooking style to provide a unique dining experience.
- Wonderful French Belgian cuisine by an award-winning chef
- Romantic atmosphere
- Attentive service
- Extensive wine list
- Tasting menus and pre-theater specials available
- Very expensive
- Serves dinner only
- Address: 2401 Pennsylvania Ave., NW. Washington, DC. 20037
- Phone: (202)296-1166
- Hours: Dinner only, Sun. 5:30-9:30pm; Mon.-Thurs. 5:30-10pm; Fri.-Sat. 5:30-11pm.
- Reservations: Recommended
- Parking: Valet parking $8. Complimentary executive car service is available to and from the Kennedy Center
- Closest Metro Station: Foggy Bottom
- Prices: Entrees $29-$42; Tasting Menu: 3 Courses $58; 4 Courses $78; 6 Courses $98; Pre-theatre (3 courses)$48.
Guide Review - Marcel's Restaurant Review
Marcel's menu changes seasonally. Appetizers include items such as Maine Diver Scallops Served Over a Gratin of Endive, Grilled Squab Salad Niçoise Haricot Vert, Olives, Tomatoes, and Confit of Leg or Boudin Blanc, Purée of Celery Root, Cabernet Reduction. For the main course a favorite is the Wild Alaskan Halibut served with Yellow Ratatouille and Micro Basil. Other dishes may include Seared Ahi Tuna over Spinach Risotto, Veal Shank with Creamy Polenta and Grape Tomatoes or Lamb Tenderloins Baked in Phillo with Cumin Madeira Sauce. For a special treat, try the chef's tasting menu. You have the option of 3, 4 or 6 courses. Leave room for dessert. There's a creative assortment of souffles, parfaits, and ice cream.
The restaurant features soft lighting and a romantic atmosphere. There's plenty of space between the tables. Reservations are suggested, especially since there are just 100 seats in the main dining room. Full menu and bar menu is available in the wine bar. The outdoor café seats an additional 40 guests.
Robert Wiedmaier recently opened Brasserie Beck a casual French Belgian restaurant in DC's McPherson Square neighborhood.
Reviewed July 2007 - Prices are subject to change
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary meal for the purpose of the review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offering mentioned herein are subject to change without notice.