The Bottom Line
Marcel's is an elegant French Belgian restaurant with great food, atmosphere and service. Chef Robert Wiedmaier is known as one of Washington, DC's best chef's and applies his creative cooking style to provide a unique dining experience.
- Wonderful French Belgian cuisine by an award-winning chef
- Romantic atmosphere
- Attentive service
- Extensive wine list
- Pre-theater specials available
- Very expensive
- Serves dinner only
- Address: 2401 Pennsylvania Ave., NW. Washington, DC. 20037
- Phone: (202)296-1166
- Hours: Dinner only, Sun. 5:30-9:30pm; Mon.-Thurs. 5:30-10pm; Fri.-Sat. 5:30-11pm.
- Reservations: Recommended
- Parking: Valet parking $8. Complimentary executive car service is available to and from the Kennedy Center
- Closest Metro Station: Foggy Bottom
- Prices: Tasting Menu: 4 Courses $85; 5 Courses $105; 6 Courses $125; 7 Courses $145; Pre-theatre (3 courses - before 6:30 p.m.) $65.
Guide Review - Marcel's Restaurant Review
Marcel's menu is a tasting menu that changes seasonally and includes prefixed pricing for four to seven courses, or an option of three courses as a pre-theatre special. Recommended dishes include Pan Seared Diver Scallop, Butternut Squash and Smoked Bacon Hash, Sage Beurre Blanc; Belgian Mussels and Chimay Gratinée, Salsify, Bacon, Peas, and Thyme Cream; Marcel's Classic Boudin Blanc, Black Mushroom Truffle Purée, Truffle Madeira Sauce; New Frontier Bison Strip Loin, Sunchoke Flan, Raisins, Radicchio, Sundried Tomato, Cabernet Reduction and Pan Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras, Brioche French Toast, Raspberry Coulis (there's an extra charge). Every dish is beautifully presented and a unique combination. Be sure to leave room for dessert. There's a cheese course and a creative assortment of souffles, parfaits, and ice cream.
The restaurant features soft lighting and a romantic atmosphere. There's plenty of space between the tables. Reservations are suggested, especially since there are just 100 seats in the main dining room. Full menu and bar menu is available in the wine bar. The outdoor café seats an additional 40 guests.
Robert Wiedmaier owns several restaurants in the Washington DC area including:
- Brasserie Beck
- BRABO, BRABO Tasting Room and Butcher's Block
- Mussel Bar & Grille (3 Locations)
- Wildwood Kitchen
Originally Reviewed July 2007, Revisited and Updated April 2014 - Prices are subject to change
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary meal for the purpose of the review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offering mentioned herein are subject to change without notice.