Festival Dates: July 10-27, 2014.
The Capital Fringe Festival, also referred to as the DC Fringe Festival, is an annual performing arts event in Washington, DC featuring more than 145 performances in a variety of venues around Washington, DC. The Capital Fringe Festival introduces risk-taking art and non-traditional performances including theater, dance, music, poetry, puppetry and more.
Whats New in 2014?
Capital Fringe has announced it is moving its headquarters (for next year) to 1358 and 1360 Florida Avenue, NE Washington DC (the current location of the Connersmith Art Gallery and the offices of the (e)merge art fair).
In 2014, six slots in the performance calendar have been reserved for site-specific works. Fringe’s Training Factory has formed a new partnership with the DC Library Foundation. Discussions and workshops begin in June and run for four weeks––topics ranging from publishing, to self-producing, to a Skyped-in session with Festivals around the USA and beyond, focused on touring. Fringe has now launched two, new year-round initiatives with the Foundation. In the fall, new plays created at the summer Festival and those published by local playwrights will become part of the DC Public Library collection. “Music in the Library” will open this summer with four acoustic concerts at the MLK Library.
See Photos of the Capital Fringe Festival
The concept of the festival dates back more than sixty years to Scotland's famed Edinburgh International Festival. "Fringe" was the name taken by performance groups excluded from this prestigious event. Undaunted and determined, these companies created makeshift theatres on the outskirts - or "fringe" - of the established festival. Soon the Fringe Festival gained a large and loyal following, outstripping the mainstream festival.
The Fringe Festival concept migrated to Canada in the 1980s, and today that country boasts Fringe Festivals from coast to coast. In the early 1990s, the fringe concept was embraced in the United States, and today Fringe Festivals are annual events in Orlando, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York.
2014 Capital Fringe Festival Locations
- Atlas Performing Arts Center - 1333 H Street, NE
- Caos on F - 923 F Street NW
- Capitol Reflecting Pool - 3rd St NW between Madison and Jefferson Dr
- DC Reynolds Bar - 3628 Georgia Ave NW
- Dupont Circle Q Street Exit - 1525 20th St NW
- Mead Theatre Lab – Flashpoint - 916 G Street NW
- Fort Fringe - 607 New York Ave NW
- Fort Fringe - 612 L Street NW
- Gearbox - 1021 7th Street NW
- Goethe Institut - 812 7th Street NW
- Hillyer Art Space - 9 Hillyer Ct NW
- Jet Set Hair Designs - 3530 12th St NE
- MLK Library - 901 G St NW
- Mount Vernon United Methodist Church - 900 Massachusetts Ave NW
- Plush Beauty Box - 3617 12 St NE
- The Fridge - 516 1/2 8th St SE
- Union Stylus - 629 New York Ave NW
- Warehouse - 645 New York Ave NW
Tickets$17 plus fringe admission button - June 19-July 10, $5; after July 11 $7; discounts and multi-show passes available. Tickets will be on sale June 19.
To purchase tickets, call (866) 811-4111 or purchase tickets online or visit the Festival Box Office at 607 New York Ave., NW, Washington, DC.
See a full list of participating artists and performance times at www.capfringe.org.