The Capital Fringe Festival, also referred to as the DC Fringe Festival, is an annual performing arts event in Washington, DC featuring more than 130 performances in a variety of venues around Washington, DC. The Capital Fringe Festival introduces risk-taking art and non-traditional performances including theater, dance, music, poetry, puppetry and more. In addition to the roster of performances, there is merriment to be had at the Fort Fringe under the Baldacchino Gypsy Tent Bar, where fanatics can enjoy food, drinks, entertainment, and catch the latest buzz about all the Fringe performances.
See Photos of the Capital Fringe Festival and get a glimpse of a few of the offbeat performances.
The concept of the festival dates back more than sixty years to Scotland's famed Edinburgh International Festival. "Fringe" was the name taken by performance groups excluded from this prestigious event. Undaunted and determined, these companies created makeshift theatres on the outskirts - or "fringe" - of the established festival. Soon the Fringe Festival gained a large and loyal following, outstripping the mainstream festival.
The Fringe Festival concept migrated to Canada in the 1980s, and today that country boasts Fringe Festivals from coast to coast. In the early 1990s, the fringe concept was embraced in the United States, and today Fringe Festivals are annual events in Orlando, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York.
Capital Fringe Festival LocationsThe Festival is located within three city blocks between Penn Quarter and Mount Vernon Square in Downtown Washington, DC. See a map
- Fort Fringe - The Baldacchino Gypsy Tent Bar, 607 New York Ave NW, The Shop, 610 L Street NW and Redrum, The Bedroom, 612 L Street NW
- Caos on F - 923 F Street NW
- GALA Theatre at Tivoli Square - 3333 14th Street NW
- Gearbox - 1021 7th Street NW 3rd Floor
- Goethe - Insitut - 812 7th Street NW
- Jin Lounge - 2017 14th Street NW
- Mountain at Mt. Vernon Place United Methodist Church - 900 Massachusetts Ave NW
- Source, 1835 14th Street, NW
- Studio Theatre, 1501 14th Street, NW
- The Emergence Community Arts Collective - 733 Euclid Street NW
- The Gilbert C. Eastman Studio Theatre - 800 Florida Ave NE
- The Streets of Fringe - 7th and New York Ave NW
- Warehouse - 645 New York Ave NW
- Wooly Mammoth Theatre, 641 D Street, NW
Tickets$17 plus fringe admission button - June 17-July 11 $5; after July 11 $7; discounts and multi-show passes available. Tickets will be on sale June 17.
To purchase tickets, call (866) 811-4111 or purchase tickets online or visit the Festival Box Office at 607 New York Ave., NW, Washington, DC.
See a full list of participating artists and performance times at www.capfringe.org.