Dates: July 7-14, 2013
2013 Festival Highlights
- The festival spotlights former Washington City Paper Staff Writer Neil Drumming’s new film about the impact of life and politics on hopes and dreams.
- Drumming returns to DC for the local premiere of “BIG WORDS,” which was featured at SLAMDANCE and is produced by Ava Duvernay.
- This year’s festival also presents the internationally acclaimed STORYBOARD P and Raphael Xavier in the “Jack Ya Body Dance Series” and RHYME TIME, a family event at the Kennedy Center, featuring DC’s own Grammy-nominated Christylez Bacon.
- Local group Words, Beats & Life presents a three-day teach in during the festival, called “The Remixing the Art of Social Change: Identity, Capacity & Legacy.”
- The festival expands this year to include a public art mural project at the Langdon Recreation Center by Chilean Artist CEKIS.
- RHYME TIME!, taking place on July 7 at the Kennedy Center Millennium Stage, is an innovative series of interactive performances that engage young audiences to learn about hip-hop theater by becoming a part of the show.