The Marine Corps Marathon, the annual race known as the “The People’s Marathon” brings together runners from all walks of life to participate in a patriotic race and a day of family-friendly activities. The traditional Marine Corps Marathon course is 26.2 miles and the MCM10K race also allows runners of all ages to join in a shorter 6.2 mile event. The weekend includes additional events including a Health and Fitness Expo, the Healthy Kids Fun Run, and the Marine Corps Marathon Finish Festival.
Marathon Date: Sunday, October 27, 2013. Start Time: 7:55 a.m.
Registration: Registration is now closed.
See Photos of the Marine Corps Maration
This year, the opening ceremonies on Sunday will kick off as a U.S. Marine who was wounded a year ago in Afghanistan makes his first official jump into Marine Corps Marathon. Staff Sgt. James Sides of Gainesville, FL will join fellow Marine and Army veterans parachuting from a fixed wing aircraft immediately before the start of the event. The 11-member skydiving team will carry a 7,800 square foot American flag, the largest flag to be included in a performance jump. In addition, they will carry smaller U.S. flags and the five flags of each military service landing at 7:34 a.m. while the National Anthem is being performed by "The Liberty Voices," world-renown a cappella group.
Also in 2013, the Marine Corps Marathon began offering additional running events from March through November. See the MCM Event Series schedule.
Transportation and ParkingMetro: Service begins at 5 a.m. Participants should use the Pentagon Station to enter Runner's Village in the Pentagon North Parking lot. Spectators can take Metro to the Arlington Cemetery Station to view the start, or the Rosslyn Station to view the finish. For the MCM10K take Metro to the Smithsonian Station.
Shuttles: Free Pre-Race shuttles are available for runners and spectators starting at 5:30 a.m. from the Crystal City, VA parking area to Runners Village in the Pentagon North parking lot. Post-Race shuttles will be parked at the corner of Oak Street and Wilson Boulevard in the Finish Festival.
Parking: Free parking is available in Crystal City at the corner of 23rd & Crystal Drive. Pre-race shuttle service will run from this parking location to Runner's Village beginning at 5:30 a.m. Free parking is also available at all metro stations. For parking for the 10K, see a guide to Parking Near the National Mall.
Marathon CourseThe 2013 Marine Corps Marathon course will feature a flatter course and a new approach to the U.S. Capitol. The notable change in course elevation occurs from Miles 6 through 9 with runners now travelling north on Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway to Beach Drive and then venturing back along the Parkway on roads that are relatively flat. The course now will send runners along M Street in Georgetown prior to entering Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway on a route that has not been part of the MCM course since 2006. Another slight modification in the course occurs along Mile 19 on the National Mall with the marathon route now running on 3rd Street to Constitution and then directly in front of the U.S. Capitol along 1st Street. Runners will continue to travel adjacent to the Capitol and then head onto Maryland Avenue and back onto 3rd Street capturing views of the Smithsonian Museums and other notable landmarks.
See a map of the Marathon Route
All participants must maintain a 14 minute-per-mile pace throughout the marathon as the course closes seven hours after the start.
Marine Corps Marathon Weekend EventsHealth and Fitness Expo
DC Armory, 2001 E. Capitol Street SE Washington, DC.
Thursday, Oct. 24, 2013, 4-8 p.m. (Opening ceremony at 3:30 p.m.)
Friday, Oct. 25, 2013, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013, 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
More than 200 booths and interactive centers provide information about health and fitness issues. Race participates must attend to pick up their race materials: the participant bib number, safety pins, souvenir single-use ChampionChip, a commemorative MCM patch, and a goodie bag including special giveaways.
Healthy Kids Fun Run
Saturday, October 26, 2013, 9:00 a.m.-2 p.m.
North Pentagon parking lot in Arlington, Virginia. Children ages 5-12 participate in the one-mile just-for-fun event. Pre-registration is required. The free outdoor festival includes interactive games, activities and entertainment for the entire family. All participants receive an event shirt, keepsake bib and medal.
Marine Corps Marathon 10K
Sunday, October 27, 2013, 7:55 a.m.
The course will start at 12th and Madison Sts. on the National Mall between the National Museum of American History and the Natural History Museum. The 6.2 mile run will cross over the Potomac via the 14th Street bridge and run throughout Crystal City and on the North side of the Pentagon to the finish at the Marine Corps War Memorial. The MCM10K is open to runners ages 8 and up.
Marine Corps Marathon Finish Festival
Sunday, October 27, 2013, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Rosslyn, Virginia. Runners will meet their friends and family and can enjoy refreshments at the beer garden and Rosslyn’s Restaurant Row. The Marine Corps Base Quantico Party Band and the Mike Corrado Band will perform live on the Arlington Stage. Runners can claim their baggage at the fleet of UPS trucks parked on Wilson Blvd. between Lynn and Kent Streets.
Temporary Road Closures
The following streets along the race route will be closed beginning at 6:50 a.m. and are expected to reopen by 1:30 p.m.:
- Francis Scott Key Bridge
- Canal Road, NW – from M St., NW to Reservoir Road, NW
- Reservoir Road, NW –from MacArthur Boulevard, NW to Canal Road, NW
- MacArthur Boulevard, NW –from Foxhall Road, NW to Reservoir Road, NW
- Foxhall Road, NW – from Canal Road, NW to MacArthur Boulevard, NW
- M St., NW – from Canal Road, NW to Wisconsin Ave., NW
- Wisconsin Ave., NW – from M St., NW to K St., NW
- K St., NW – from Wisconsin Ave., NW to Rock Creek and Potomac Pkwy
- Rock Creek and Potomac Pkwy, NW - from K St., NW to Independence Ave. SW
- Memorial Bridge
- West Potomac Park
- East Potomac Park (access to Golf Course and Tennis Courts available)
- Maine Ave., SW – from East Basin Drive, SW to Independence Ave., SW
- Independence Ave., SW – from Maine Ave., SW to Ohio Drive, SW
- Ohio Drive, SW –between independence Ave., SW and Lincoln Circle, SW
- Lincoln Circle, SW – from Ohio Drive, SW to Henry Bacon Drive, NW
- Constitution Ave., NW – from Bacon Drive, NW to 15th St., NW
- 23rd St. NW –from Lincoln Circle, NW to Constitution Ave., NW
- 15th St. – from Constitution Ave., NW to Independence Ave., SW
- 17th St. – from Constitution Ave., NW to Independence Ave., SW
- Madison Drive, NW – from 15th St., NW to 3rd St., NW 3rd St., NW – from Pennsylvania Ave., NW to Independence, SW
- Pennsylvania Ave., NW – from 3rd St., NW to East Capitol Circle, NW
- 1st St. – Pennsylvania Ave., NW to Maryland Ave., SW
- Maryland Ave., SW – from South Capitol Circle, SW to 3rd St., SW
- Jefferson Drive, SW – from 3rd St., SW to 15th St., SW
- 14th St., SW – from Jefferson Drive, SW to Northbound HOV lanes
- HOV lanes – from 14th St., SW to HOV ramp at South Eads St., NW
Official Website: www.marinemarathon.com