See Photos of the Maryland Day Celebration
Dates: March 22-24, 2013
Highlights of Maryland Day Activities
- Visit the Annapolis Maritime Museum for an afternoon of learning about the Chesapeake Bay. Explore interactive exhibits and participate in a variety of hands-on activities. Try your hand at oyster tonging and learn about a waterman’s way of life on the Bay.
- Help restore the native oyster population by constructing concrete reef balls with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. Tour the Oyster Restoration Center afterwards to learn all that the organization is doing to restore the native oyster population in the Bay.
- Take the kids to the Chesapeake Children’s Museum and search for clues about how runaway slaves depended on nature and secret signals in the days of the Underground Railroad.
- Experience the Hammond-Harwood House as an 18th century Annapolitan would have on a 30-minute tour of this architectural jewel.
- Imagine British warships sailing up the Chesapeake Bay aiming their guns towards Annapolis. Visit the Maryland State House for a special behind-the-scenes tour of our newest exhibit, “The Enemy Nearly All Round Us” Annapolis & the War of 1812. Learn how the Maryland State Government protected its citizens from attack; how the British made life difficult for Marylanders; and how enslaved African Americans made daring escapes in the midst of war.
- Enjoy a special War of 1812 guided walking tour of the U.S Naval Academy, concluding in the USNA Museum to see the original, restored DON’T GIVE UP THE SHIP flag.
- and much more!
Sites Participating in Maryland DayAnnapolis & Anne Arundel County Conference & Visitors Bureau
Annapolis Film Festival
Annapolis Maritime Museum with the Coast Guard Auxiliary
Annapolis Tours by Watermark
Captain Avery Museum
Charles Carroll House
Chase Lloyd House
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
Chesapeake Children’s Museum
City of Annapolis
Courthouse Museum in the Anne Arundel County Courthouse
Deale Area Historical Society at the Herrington Harbour North Historic Village
Galesville Heritage Museum
Historic Annapolis Museum
Historic London Town and Gardens
Hogshead (Historic Annapolis Foundation)
Mainstreets Annspolis Partnerships
Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts
Maryland State House
Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
United States Naval Academy Armel-Leftwich Visitor Center
West Annapolis Heritage Partnership
Wiley H. Bates Legacy Center
William Paca House & Garden
Wimsey Cove Maps & Art
A full listing of the weekend’s activities is available on the event website, www.marylandday.org and in a printed Program of Events, available at visitor centers and participating sites.