Each May, during National Police Week, the U.S. recognizes the service and sacrifice of U.S. law enforcement and pays tribute to those who have lost their lives in the line of duty. A candlelight vigil is held at the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, DC in honor of the law enforcement officers who have died that year. The names engraved on the Memorial include fallen officers from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, U.S. territories, and federal law enforcement and military police agencies. This event, as well as a memorial service on the grounds of the U.S. Capitol Building are open to the public.
Dates: May 12-16, 2014
Schedule of National Police Week Events
- Saturday, May 10, 2014 - National Police Week 5K - Prior to the week's events, the race honors fallen law enforcement officers and raises money to support programs like No Parole for Cop Killers, Line of Duty Death Notifications, ODMP K9, and more.
- Throughout the week, The FOP DC Lodge will be hosting daily events from Monday through Wednesday at 1880 2nd Street SW Washington DC. There will be vendors, bar and food service, music and entertainment.
- Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 25th Annual Candlelight Vigil - 8:00 p.m. at the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial at the 400 block of E Street, NW. Washington DC. No tickets are required and the event is open to the public. Parking is limited in the area. The closest Metro is Judiciary Square. The ceremony will be streamed live at www.LawMemorial.org/webcast so that people across the country can witness this annual tribute to America’s law enforcement officers.
- Wednesday, May 14, 2014 and Friday, May 16, 2014 - National Police Survivors Conference and C.O.P.S. Kids/Teens Sponsored by Concerns of Police Survivors (C.O.P.S.) at the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center Hotel at 5000 Seminary Rd Alexandria, VA. Family and co-worker survivors have opportunities to receive support to understanding grief, prepare for trial, learn new coping skills, and build connections with others. School aged children of fallen officers spend the day at Quantico taking part in activities specially tailored for their age. For more information, visit www.nationalcops.org or call (573) 346-4911.
- Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 32nd Annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service - Sponsored by the Grand Lodge Fraternal Order of Police and the Grand Lodge Fraternal Order of Police Auxiliary. The Memorial Service will be held on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC. The service begins at 11:00 a.m. and is expected to run approximately 2 hours. Law enforcement attendees are encouraged to attend in dress uniform. All attendees will be required to go through metal detectors before entering the grounds of the Capitol. The Wreath Laying Ceremony will be held immediately following the Memorial Service at the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, located in the 400 block of E Street, NW. Washington DC.