Passport DC, an annual celebration of international culture presented by Cultural Tourism DC showcases Washington DC’s embassies and cultural organizations with tours of more than 70 embassies and hundreds of events including street festivals, performances and exhibitions. The month-long celebration features a variety of special programming to appeal to all ages.
See Photos of Passport DC
Passport DC Highlights
- Saturday, May 3, 2014, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Around the World Embassy Tour will showcase 50 embassies from Africa, Asia, Oceania, the Middle East, and the Americas, with artists and artisans, performers, lecturers, teachers, and others provide a range of educational and cultural programming. Participants can experience the food, art, dance, fashion, and music of different countries. Visitors are treated to karate demonstrations, dance performances, sari wrapping lessons, and henna demonstrations. Admission is free and reservations are not required.
- May 10, 2014, 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Shortcut to Europe: European Union Embassies' Open House. The Embassies of the European Union and the Delegation of the European Commission to the United States will open their doors to the public, offering a rare look at the diverse EU cultures. The event kicks off Europe Month.
- May 15, 6 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. Embassy Chef Challenge. This event brings together a dozen embassy chefs to present signature delights in a friendly culinary competition. Awards are given for the Judges' Choice and People's Choice Award. Tickets are $250 and include cuisine prepared by embassy chefs from around the world, a top-shelf bar and silent and live auctions.
- May 17, 2014, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Asian Heritage Festival - Fiesta Asia - The street fair offers a variety of activities including musical performances, a multicultural marketplace, martial arts demonstrations, friendly interactive activities, a talent competition, cultural parade, Bollywood street dancing, and exhibits of traditional and contemporary Asian crafts. Admission is free.
Getting to the Embassies
All participating Passport DC embassies are located in the NW quadrant of Washington, DC, and most are along three major corridors - Massachusetts Avenue, Connecticut Avenue, and 16th Street. See a map of the embassies. Parking is limited in most of the areas. Free shuttle transportation will be available for open houses. See a guide to all of the embassies in Washington, DC.
Tips for Attending Passport DC Events
- Note that you probably won't be able to visit every embassy, so make a list of the ones that you most want to check out and prioritize those when planning your schedule.
- Take public transportation to avoid the stress of parking and plan to walk a lot or use the free shuttle to get between embassies.
- Dress appropriately for the weather, wear comfortable walking shoes and bring water.
Souvenir Passports will be on sale at Dupont Circle and Van Ness Information Booths for $5 each. They are also available online for $6.50. Bring your Souvenir Passport to each embassy you visit for a commemorative stamp.
Enjoy the cultural experience and be sure to bring a camera.
Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Embassy of the Argentine Republic
Embassy of Australia
Embassy of Azerbaijan
Embassy of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas
Embassy of the Kingdom of Bahrain
Embassy of Bangladesh
Embassy of Belize
Embassy of the Plurinational State of Bolivia
Embassy of the Republic of Botswana
Embassy of Brazil – Official Residence
Embassy of Chad
Embassy of Colombia
Embassy of the Republic of Congo
Embassy of Costa Rica
Embassy of the Commonwealth of Dominica
Embassy of the Dominican Republic
Embassy of Ecuador
Embassy of Egypt
Embassy of Ethiopia
Embassy of Fiji
Embassy of the Gabonese Republic
Embassy of Ghana
Embassy of Guatemala
Embassy of the Republic of Guinea
Embassy of Indonesia
Embassy of the Republic of Iraq
Embassy of Japan
Embassy of Kazakhstan
Embassy of the Republic of Kenya
Embassy of the Republic of Korea
Embassy of the Kyrgyz Republic
Embassy of Mexico
Embassy of the Federated States of Micronesia
Embassy of the Republic of Mozambique
Embassy of Nepal
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
Embassy of Pakistan
Embassy of Peru
Embassy of the Philippines
Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia
Embassy of Serbia
Embassy of the Republic of South Africa
Embassy of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
Embassy of St. Kitts and Nevis
Royal Thai Embassy
Embassy of The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago
Embassy of the Republic of Turkey
Embassy of Uganda
Embassy of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
Embassy of the Republic of Zambia
The complete schedule will be available at www.passportdc.org.