Dates: April 26 – May 5, 2013
Getting to Winchester, VA: Winchester is located in the Northern Shenandoah Valley, just 72 miles northwest of Washington DC and 22 miles north of Shenandoah National Park. From Washington, DC: Take Route 66 West to I-81 North, Exit 313 or Take VA-267 W (The Dulles Toll Road) to VA-7 W at exit 1A, continue on VA-7 to Winchester. See a map.
Queen Shenandoah and Miss Apple Blossom FestivalEach year, nominations are made for Queen Shenandoah by festival organizers, former queens, past celebrities, and political figures. Miss Apple Blossom Festival is the official hostess of the event and the winner of the Miss America pageant held at Daniel Morgan Middle School each November.
Schedule of Major Events
- Bloomin’ Wine Fest – April 27-28, 2013. Loudoun Street Pedestrian Mall. Virginia wineries offer wine samples at a two-day event that includes food and live musical entertainment. Hours: Friday 3-10 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Wine Fest tickets are $15 (online) prior to April 19th. $20.00 (one day tasting admission) at the gate during the Fest. $5.00 Wine Garden Pass.
- Apple Blossom Carnival – May 1-6, 2013. Valley Avenue behind Wards Plaza. Carnival rides and a variety of activities for all ages. Hours: Tues-Thurs 5 - 11 p.m., Fri 2 - 11 p.m., Sat 12- 11 p.m., Sun 12 - 9 p.m.
- Coronation of Queen Shenandoah – May 3, 1:30 p.m. John Handley High School. A Royal Command Performance, featuring local school participants, follows the coronation ceremony.
- Old Town Midway – May 3-4, 2013. Piccadilly Street and the Loudoun Street Mall. The Midway includes carnival games, novelty items, and food such as Cotton candy, caramel apples, and corn dogs.
- Firefighters Parade – May 3, 2013, 5:30 p.m. Old Town Winchester. The parade is coordinated by members of the Winchester and Frederick County Firefighters. It is the largest and one of the oldest annual Firefighters Parades in the world. The best viewing spots are along Washington Street between Amherst and Monmouth Streets.
- Fireworks & Nightfest – May 3, 2013. Handley High School. Live musical entertainment begins immediately following the Firefighters Parade around 8 p.m. The fireworks are displayed at 9:15 p.m.
- Grand Feature Parade – May 4, 2013, 1:30 p.m. Old Town Winchester. The parade contains more than 200 units of floats, bands, special units and antique cars. 2011 “American Idol” winner, Scotty McCreery, has been chosen to serve as the Grand Marshal this year. The best viewing spots are along Washington Street between Amherst and Monmouth Streets.
- Weekend in the Park – May 4-5, 2013. Jim Barnett Park. The Arts & Crafts Show runs throughout the weekend. On Sunday enjoy Fun Day in the Park (activities for kids), the Midway and Yesterday's Cruisers Car Show (more thanr 200 vintage and classic "muscle cars" from the 40s, 50s and 60s) The car show is on Sunday only and is weather-dependent. Admission: $5.
Hotels in Winchester, VirginiaAloft - 1055 Millwood Pike (540) 678-8899
America's Best Value Inn - 2649 Valley Ave. (540) 662-2521
Best Western Lee-Jackson Inn and Conference Center - 711 Millwood Avenue (540) 662-4154
Candlewood Suites - 1135 Millwood Pike (540) 667-8323
Comfort Inn - 1601 Martinsburg Pike (540) 667-8894
Country Inn and Suites - 141 Kernstown Commons Boulevard (540) 869-7657
Courtyard by Marriott - 300 Marriott Drive (540) 678-8822
Fairfield Inn & Suites - 250 Front Royal Pike (540) 665-8881
George Washington Hotel - 103 East Piccadilly Street (540) 678-4700
Hampton Inn N/Convention Center - 1204 Berryville Avenue (540) 678-4000
Hampton Inn University/Mall - 1655 Apple Blossom Drive - (540) 667-8011
Hilton Garden Inn - 120 Wingate Dr. (540) 722-8881
Holiday Inn Historic Gateway - 333 Front Royal Pike (540) 667-3300
Holiday Inn Express - 142 Fox Ridge Lane (540) 667-7050
Motel 6 - 2951 Valley Avenue (540) 667-1200
Red Roof Inn - 991 Millwood Pike (540) 667-5000
TownePlace Suites by Marriott - 170 Getty Lane (540) 722-2722
Wingate Inn - 150 Wingate Drive (540) 678-4283
The Winchester-Frederick County Visitors Center is open daily from 9 am until 5 pm. It is located at 1400 S. Pleasant Valley Road.
For more information about visiting the area, see www.visitwinchesterva.com