Cultural Tourism DC sponsors WalkingTown DC and BikingTown DC, a week of free guided tours of the neighborhoods of Washington DC. More than 100 walking tours and 11 bike tours are available offering a great way to discover something new in the nation’s capital. In addition to a full schedule of weekend tours, this year's event will feature weekday tours, including lunch hour tours and after work tours, tour itineraries, and special events. WalkingTown DC and BikingTown DC will also include a series of tours exploring DC’s involvement in the Civil War, in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. Many tours require advance reservations.
Popular tours include:
- African American Heritage: Tours dedicated to the history and significance of DC’s African American personalities, landmarks, and events.
- Green DC: Tours exploring local sustainable development, natural resources, and nature.
- Washington in Conflict: Tours exploring political unrest, social movements, and historically significant events including the War of 1812, Civil War, and Civil Rights movement.
- Eye on the Arts: Tours bringing attention to DC’s visual arts exhibits, performing arts venues, and public art installations, especially sculpture, murals, architectural symbolism, and pop culture.
- Neighborhood History: Guided tours of the Neighborhood Heritage Trails