Chardonnay is the most widely produced wine in Virginia, followed by Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Vidal. Chambourcin, Viognier, and Traminette are also major players.
Virginia wineries offer tastings and special events throughout the year. See a list of wineries in Virginia.
Virginia makes wine travel and discovery easy with its 15 wine trails. They are well marked with grape signs along the roadways.
- Artisanal Wineries of Rappahannock
- Bedford Wine Trail
- Blue Ridge Whiskey Wine Loop
- Blue Ridge WineWay
- Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail
- Eastern Shore Wine Trail
- Fauquier County Wine Trail
- Foothills Scenic Wine Trail
- General's Wine & History Trail
- Heart of Virginia Wine Trail
- Loudoun Wine Country – Closest to the Washington DC Area
- Monticello Wine Trail
- Mountain Road Wine Experience
- Shenandoah County Wine Trail
- Shenandoah Valley Wine Country Trail
- SoVA Wine Trail
- Wine Trail of Botetourt County
Virginia Winery Tours
The following companies provide guided wine tours that include transportation and special programs for individuals or groups.
Virginia Wine Month
Each October, Virginia pays homage to the grape at wineries statewide with festivals, special barrel tastings, harvest dinners and wine-themed travel packages. From the coastal serenity of the vineyards of the Eastern Shore to the majestic beauty of Blue Ridge area wineries, each wine region in Virginia has a personality and ambience all its own. As the leaves change during the fall season, it is a wonderful time to enjoy the breathtaking scenery and the local grapes.
Virginia Wine Week
Each spring, Virginia devotes a week to Virginia wine. Restaurants and wine shops across the state participate with tasting menus and special events.
Annual Wine Festivals in Northern Virginia
- Virginia Wine Showcase - February
- Mount Vernon Wine Festivals and Sunset Tours - May and October
- Vintage Virginia - June
- Manassas Wine and Jazz Festival - June
- Virginia Wine Festival - September
- Alexandria West End Art and Wine Festival - October